In Diva-Off, Babs Bests Mariah on Charts
At 67, she is the second oldest living artist to top the charts, after Bob Dylan.
According to Reuters, industry observers said Streisand's success was bolstered by sales in non-traditional outlets like coffee retailer Starbucks, QVC, and Streisand's own website.
The crown had been expected to go to pop-rock band Paramore, which settled for a close No. 2 with sales of 175,000 for 'Brand New Eyes.'
Streisand extended her lead as the female act with the most No. 1 releases on the Billboard 200. She also became the first artist to top the chart in five consecutive decades.
"You'd think that getting the news that you've been Number One in five consecutive decades would make you feel old, but this makes me feel young," Streisand said in a statement.
The fall of Carey's 'Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel' is significant. It ended the chart-topping streak of her previous two albums and it was her worse debut since 2001's disaster, 'Glitter.'
Another diva was also toppled by Babs: Madonna. Her hits collection, 'Celebration,' only managed 72,000 copies.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bollywood actress sentenced to 26 years in jail for blasphemy in Pakistan
- FOX411's pic of the day
- '19 Kids & Counting's' cousin Amy Duggar reaches for Nashville dreams
- ?Star Wars' trailer wishlist: VII things we hope to see
- PopWatch Confessional: What are you thankful for this year?
- Is Jim Bob Duggar Trying to Set Up Daughter Jana with Celebrity?
- 'Extra' Trend Spotter: Great Boots by Born!
- Jennifer Lopez, Rosie O'Donnell and Others Share Their Slim-Down Secrets!