In Diva-Off, Babs Bests Mariah on Charts
At 67, she is the second oldest living artist to top the charts, after Bob Dylan.
According to Reuters, industry observers said Streisand's success was bolstered by sales in non-traditional outlets like coffee retailer Starbucks, QVC, and Streisand's own website.
The crown had been expected to go to pop-rock band Paramore, which settled for a close No. 2 with sales of 175,000 for 'Brand New Eyes.'
Streisand extended her lead as the female act with the most No. 1 releases on the Billboard 200. She also became the first artist to top the chart in five consecutive decades.
"You'd think that getting the news that you've been Number One in five consecutive decades would make you feel old, but this makes me feel young," Streisand said in a statement.
The fall of Carey's 'Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel' is significant. It ended the chart-topping streak of her previous two albums and it was her worse debut since 2001's disaster, 'Glitter.'
Another diva was also toppled by Babs: Madonna. Her hits collection, 'Celebration,' only managed 72,000 copies.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Shawn Mendes: Taylor Swift 'the best person in the world'
- ?Killing Jesus' breaks rating record with 3.7 million viewers for NatGeo
- Hilary Duff explains bikini pic: I felt good
- Comedy Central's Justin Bieber Roast: Funniest Jokes About the "King Joffrey" of Pop, Martha Stewart, and More!
- Dancing With the Stars Week 3 Recap: Who Brought the Heat in Latin Week and Who Went Home?
- This Male Model Who Is Also a PhD-Earning Math Teacher Makes Us Want to Go Back to School