Fergie Talks Meth, Gang-Loving Past
Growing up in the LA suburbs, Stacy Ann Ferguson was a chuch-going, straight-A student when she landed a gig on 'Kids Incorporated.' After five years of being a kid star, she left and later joined R&B pop girl group, Wild Orchid.
During her time with Orchid, she sunk into the ecstasy-gobbling underground club scene. "I had a blast, but those things can only last for so long. I'm actually lucky that I hit it as hard as I did because it took me to a place where I knew I never wanted to do it again."
It's been a decade since she "retired" following a 1-year period where she was drugging heavily.
"It started with ecstasy. I loved ecstasy. Loved it, loved it. It was great at first, then it just went ..." crashing down.
As for crystal meth: "It ruins you."
Paranoia and heightened anxiety are well-known effects of the drug. Fergie admits she became convinced the FBI was after her, so she blackened all the windows in her apartment. In one widely notorious event, she conversed with a hamper for several hours.
Other dangers existed too, like when a drug dealer held a gun to her head during a score gone wrong. "Yeah, that was crazy. Don't mess with East LA. Thank the Lord, I'm here."
All the while during her lost year, Fergie developed an obsession with Hispanic "Cholo" gang members.
"Oh yeah. It was very alluring, very romantic. Well, I romanticized it. I thought it was artistic." And the men? "I still think gangsters are cute."
But she decided that lifestyle was not what she wanted for her future.
"So I started becoming attracted to qualities that didn't involve guns and drugs and gangs. I changed my behavior through therapy and started becoming attracted to things like integrity and loyalty. Who would be a good father? Who would be a good husband?"
That "good husband" ended up being one of the cleanest cut men in Hollywood, Josh Duhamel. They married earlier this year.
Drugs, gangsters, guns and girls are in the past -- though she's resigned to the fact that she'll forever be judged for it all. "I'm trying to get a thicker skin. I like to be aware of people's perceptions of me, but when you put it as a priority, as a means to judging your worth, that's when it can be dangerous."
MORE ABOUT Fergie
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Fergie Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actress Sheila MacRae from 1960s re-creation of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Ted Turner hospitalized in South America
- Taylor Swift befriends a Victoria's Secret beauty
- ?Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments ? VIDEO
- ?Episodes' star Chris Diamantopoulos reveals his first celeb crush, makes you want to listen to Roxette ? VIDEO
- Captain America exhibit opens at Disneyland: On the Scene
- Back On? Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Spotted Together in Texas
- Meet the Hot Guys of ?Divergent'
- 'Hunger Games' Star Willow Shields Talks 'Mockingjay,' Working with Jennifer Lawrence
- Robin Thicke Steps Out Smiling Without His Wedding Ring in NYC: Picture
- Harry Shum Jr. Is Engaged! Glee Star Proposed to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara in Hawaii
- Jessica Simpson Shares Slim Selfie, Jared Leto Wonders If J. Law's Oscars Falls Are "a Bit of an Act": Top 5 Stories