Meghan McCain, Tila Tequila: Twitter BFFs?
So what's the deal? Is it so unlikely that the Ivy League educated, socially liberal, politically conservative author and media personality McCain would be pals with a woman most famous for starring in a reality show where straight men and lesbians competed for her affections? And could the two actually be dating? Our experts weigh in on what each woman stands to gain and to lose from this odd pairing.
Back in March, U.S. Senator John McCain's blog-happy daughter Meghan was spotted having lunch with the MySpace minx. According to US Weekly, Meghan looked up Tila and the pair found each other as most unlikely bedfellows do, on Twitter, and arranged a meet up.
"Yep, Tequila and I are friends," McCain tweeted the day of her lunch date with Tila. "She's an cool [sic] girl and that's all there is to say!" Tila wrote on her Web page that McCain is "cool, smart" and is someone to "have intellectual convos" with. Tila told Usmagazine.com that her political views often align with McCain's. Uh... ok.
When the pair dined at Mr. Chows in Beverly Hills earlier this month, Tila told paparazzi, "Meghan's my girlfriend." Meghan insisted four times, "We're just friends."
"Tila Tequila has a talent of saying and doing the most outrageous things to bring the attention back on her. This time, she's claiming her new BFF Meghan McCain is her girlfriend. Meghan insists they're just friends -- but if they are in a relationship and trying to hide it, they're doing it at the most public places in L.A., dining at places like Mr. Chow and Chateau Marmont, where stars go TO be seen," explains Star magazine senior editor Suzanne Rozdeba.
"The two have apparently become close over the last few months, bonding over politics and pop culture. I don't think Meghan's looking for her own 'Shot of Love' on MTV just yet -- though it would certainly spice up Daddy's image!" Rozdeba added.
'Cult of Celebrity' author and radio host Cooper Lawrence thinks hanging with Tila is Meghan's way of trying to make the Republican party seem hip and cool.
"Meghan has been trying to get some street cred for the Republican party for awhile now," Lawrence says. "Her platform is basically, 'Republican's can be cool,' so she needs to be seen as someone who can hang with someone who is down. It's an odd choice, but politics do make strange bedfellows. "
And for Tila, aligning with Megan is a smart career move.
"For Ms. Tequila, she's only got something to gain out of hanging with a former presidential candidate's daughter. It could very well smarten up her image a bit and open doors to future business opportunities," says career expert and author of 'Girl on Top' Nicole Williams.
So at the end of the day both women have something to gain from this unlikely friendship, but Meghan certainly has more to lose than Tila.
"It's a slippery slope for Meghan if she continues to be spotted out with Tila Tequila, considering Tila's 'trashy' reputation as a bisexual reality TV star," Williams says.
But it certainly does make for a new and exciting twist on Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Man charged in biting attack at Chicago's Lollapalooza music festival that wounded 2 men
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Michelle Duggar on how she and husband Jim Bob keep the flame alive
- HBO exec defends violence, sex scenes in 'Game of Thrones'
- Watch the first 5 minutes of Lifetime's ?Unauthorized Saved by the Bell' movie
- More adult women play video games than teen boys ? will the industry act accordingly?
- Watch Joe Manganiello and the men of ?La Bare' play Never Have I Ever
- It's a Girl for Stacy Keibler!
- Why Is NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson Driving Onto a High School Football Field?
- Watch the First Episode of ?Red Band Society' Now!
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Jessica Simpson's Killer Legs: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Christmas Jammies Family Makes Back-to-School "Baby Got Class" Parody: Watch Now!
- Chris Burke Reflects on Corky Character, Life Goes On, Down Syndrome on Upcoming Oprah: Where Are They Now? Episode