'The Addams Family' Theme Creator Dies
He wrote songs that were recorded by Dean Martin, Doris Day, Perry Como and Billie Holiday in the '40s and '50s. His hits included "Pretty Kitty Blue Eyes," "My Dreams are Getting Better All the Time," and "With a Hey and a Hi and a Ho-Ho-Ho."
But his most famous work was the theme to "The Addams Family," a tune accented by finger snaps and opening with the cleverly quirky lyrics: "They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky, they're altogether ooky: the Addams family."
Mizzy sang the song himself and overdubbed it three times to give the impression of multiple vocalists. He also directed the title sequence where he asked actors who played members of the Addams family to snap their fingers in a bored way.
The enduring tune is often heard during sports game to rally the home team.
"He was smart enough to demand to own the song, which was unheard of at the time. So any time you go to a Lakers game and they play that song, he made money," Wolfson said.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., Mizzy learned to play the piano as a child. In his teens, he teamed up with Irving Taylor and began writing songs and sketches for variety shows. They won a pair of radio contests and toured the East Coast vaudeville circuit. While served in the U.S. Navy during World War II, the pair wrote several hit songs, including "Three Little Sisters" and "Take It Easy."
Mizzy later composed and wrote songs for television and film, most recently a song for "Spiderman 2" which ended up on the DVD version of the movie.
Mathew Imaging / WireImage
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
AP Photo/FOX, Michael Becker, File
Taco Bell / AP
Chris O'Meara, AP
David Livingston, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Star Trek' does $70.6M on opening weekend, but falls short of studio's expectations
- Taylor Swift shines at Billboard Music Awards
- Twilight time for Stewart, Pattinson?
- Cannes: 'Catching Fire' Star Sam Claflin Joins Lone Sherfig's 'Posh'
- Cannes: Kurt Russell, Peter Sarsgaard to Star in 'Bone Tomahawk' (Exclusive)
- Cannes: Download THR's Day 6 Daily
- ?All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' season finale: And the winner is?
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- ?Game of Thrones': OK Cupid reveals which characters are most compatible
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2
- 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)