Chris Farley Direct TV Ad: Too Soon?
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 26th 2009 06:00PM
Chris Farley in their new ad campaign and has viewers in a twist citing that it is tasteless and insensitive. But this won't be the first time the company has used dead celebrities to hype their products. Last year, the company was under attack after featuring Heather O' Rourke in 'The Poltergeist' -- she died in 1988 at the age of 12.
In the new ad, actor David Spade appears in the commercial with Farley, who died in 1997 of heart failure due to an overdose. Asylum reached out to Spade through his publicist for a comment.
"When DIRECT TV came to me and the Farley family with this idea about 'Tommy Boy,' we talked and thought it would be a cool way to remind people just how funny Chris was. It is a clever homage to my friend and a movie that we loved doing, " he says.
"We should look to Chris' family and friends for the ultimate opinion on this subject. They were involved from the beginning of this project and felt that the spot was a great to tribute to Chris," DIRECT TV said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Hollywood human trafficking summit slams Roman Polanski, says stars can do more
- FOX411's pic of the day
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' trailer sets record
- Jay Leno Returns to NBC on 'Last Comic Standing'
- Toronto: Kevin Smith's 'Tusk' To Get World Premiere
- Two Russian Films Banned in Ukraine
- What does an episode of ?Friends' look like without any jokes?
- The 10 best videos from Comic-Con 2014
- Best of Late Night TV: Bachelorette Andi Plays the No-ly Wed Game, James Franco's Selfie Tutorial (VIDEO)
- The 'Batkid Begins' Trailer Will Make You Shed a Tear or Two (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista Get Weird in Our 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Unscripted (VIDEO)