Madonna Is Getting Schooled In Malawi
"It's an honor for me to be able to help as many of these girls as I can achieve their dreams," she stated through her website.
The Raising Malawi Academy for Girls will prepare impoverished children for careers in education, law or medicine. It is located on the outskirts of Lilongwe, the southeast African country's capital. Raising Malawi, Madonna's charity, provides education, food, housing and other support in the country.
"Research proves that young girls throughout the developing world are often left without opportunities to receive a comprehensive education and the benefits that education can provide," said Madonna. "Our goal is to teach them to challenge themselves, serve their local communities and develop their country," she added.
Madonna will participate in a groundbreaking ceremony on Monday afternoon. She was accompanied by her four children, two of whom, Mercy, 3, and David, 4, were born in Malawi.
"Madonna believes that given opportunities, these girls will become scientists, lawyers and doctors," said Anjimile Mtila Oponyo, the future head of the academy and a local academic. "She believes in them. Having someone believe in you is important to a girl," she continued.
The singer, 51, is planning to meet President Bingu wa Mutharika and visit orphanages supported by her charity.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Tan Mom makes an unfortunate music video
- ?Daily Show' co-creator Lizz Winstead sparks outrage with Oklahoma tornado joke about conservatives
- Country star Toby Keith says tornado-ravaged Okla. hometown is 'resilient,' planning benefit
- WATCH: 'Jersey Shore' Castmember Weds 'Starter Wives' Star In New Music Video
- The Hair And Makeup Secrets Behind A Broadway Production
- New ?Wolverine' trailer: Another deep dive
- ?Glee': I don't know what month the show is taking place in and it's driving me insane!
- Nine highlights from Microsoft's debut of next-gen Xbox One
- How You Can Help Victims of the Oklahoma City Twister
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Talks Workout Secrets, 'The Client List'
- Matt Damon on Angelina Jolie's Brave Decision