Madonna Is Getting Schooled In Malawi
"It's an honor for me to be able to help as many of these girls as I can achieve their dreams," she stated through her website.
The Raising Malawi Academy for Girls will prepare impoverished children for careers in education, law or medicine. It is located on the outskirts of Lilongwe, the southeast African country's capital. Raising Malawi, Madonna's charity, provides education, food, housing and other support in the country.
"Research proves that young girls throughout the developing world are often left without opportunities to receive a comprehensive education and the benefits that education can provide," said Madonna. "Our goal is to teach them to challenge themselves, serve their local communities and develop their country," she added.
Madonna will participate in a groundbreaking ceremony on Monday afternoon. She was accompanied by her four children, two of whom, Mercy, 3, and David, 4, were born in Malawi.
"Madonna believes that given opportunities, these girls will become scientists, lawyers and doctors," said Anjimile Mtila Oponyo, the future head of the academy and a local academic. "She believes in them. Having someone believe in you is important to a girl," she continued.
The singer, 51, is planning to meet President Bingu wa Mutharika and visit orphanages supported by her charity.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Miranda Kerr strips down for sexy ad
- Lindsay Lohan's list of ex-lovers revealed, report claims
- High school students pay up to turn off Justin Bieber's music
- Overthinking the inscrutable ?Mad Men' season 7 photos ? THEORIES
- Barack and Michelle Obama's greatest pop culture moments ? VIDEO
- 'True Detective' Deleted Scene! Rust's Explosive Breakup with Girlfriend Lori
- Is Taylor Swift Dropping Selena Gomez as BFF over Justin Bieber Reunion?
- Is That Ren