Suzanne Somers Misdiagnosed with Full-Body Cancer
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 26th 2009 09:50AM
Suzanne Somers faced an emotional roller coaster when six different doctors confirmed she had "full-body cancer." Somers was filled with fear thinking she only had days to live. "For six days, six doctors confirmed I had inoperable cancer. I went into that valley of fear. I saw my death, it was horrible," Somers said. Somers later learned she had been misdiagnosed.
During the time Somers thought she had cancer, she spoke with several doctors and patients about their various treatments and decided to write her latest book, 'Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who are Curing Cancer and How to Prevent Getting It.' She shares what she describes as "groundbreaking and successful cancer prevention and care protocols incorporating chemo-free options that are available now."
The book has been highly controversial, and Somers said she's been attacked by doctors for promoting treatments that avoid chemotherapy. Somers argues that alternative methods are just another solution for patients who don't respond well to chemotherapy.
In 2001, Somers decided to forgo chemotherapy when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Instead she had a lumpectomy to remove the cancer followed by radiation therapy and used alternative treatments.
In her book, Somers writes, "Cancer death rates dropped only 5 percent from 1950 to 2005. What other technology has performed so miserably over this fifty-five year period? In contrast, the death rate from heart disease dropped 64 percent in that time, and for flu and pneumonia it fell 58 percent."
She continues, "It is a very brave choice to go against traditional medicine and embrace the alternative route. It's easier to try the traditional route and then, if it fails, go to the alternatives, but often it can be too late. My friend Farrah Fawcett - would she have made it if she had gone alternative first? There is no way of knowing."
Celebrity Health Scares
Former Smiths singer Morrissey collapsed onstage during a show 100 miles west of London. He has been released from the hospital following overnight observation.
Matt Kent, Redferns / Getty Images
Matt Kent, Redferns / Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Amanda Seyfried misses her 'huge breasts'
- Scene & Herd: Celebs spotted at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival
- Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver reconciliation a good idea?
- BBC Axes Digital Initiative, Saying It 'Wasted a Huge Amount' of Money
- German Soccer Rules Europe, Can It Conquer the World?
- Cannes: 'Magic Magic' Stars Juno Temple, Michael Cera on Culture Shock in Chile (Video)
- Season Finale Round-Up: Our TV critics on ?The Office,' ?Bates Motel,' ?Doctor Who,' ?Arrow,' ?Nashville' and more
- Mariah Carey swears, has a wardrobe issue on ?Good Morning America' ? VIDEO
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'Now You See Me': Isla Fisher, Mark Ruffalo Celebrate the Magical Film in L.A. (PHOTOS)
- 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO)