Larry David Urinates on Jesus Painting; Catholics Not Enthused
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 28th 2009 01:26PM
Catholic advocates are more than a little peeved with Larry David, whose HBO show 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' featured a segment this week that involved Jesus, out-of-control urine and mocking of the Christian belief in miracles.
If you're a fan and still haven't seen the episode, stop reading now.
In the episode, which aired Sunday, the comedian accidentally splatters while relieving himself near a portrait of Jesus, and opts not to wipe it off. His pious assistant and her mother see the picture and whole-heartedly believe their bathroom has been touched by God.
"Was Larry David always this crude?" Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League, said in a statement released Monday. "Would he think it comedic if someone urinated on a picture of his mother?"
Donohue noted that while he believes 'Seinfeld' (created by David) was "brilliant," the same can't be said about 'Curb.'
"David's best years are behind him" Donohue said, adding "he ought to quit while he's ahead."
The Catholic booster sees a pattern with the network. "This might be fun to watch, but since HBO only likes to dump on Catholics (it was just a couple of weeks ago that Sarah Silverman insulted Catholics on 'Real Time with Bill Maher'), and David is Jewish, we'll never know."
Deal Hudson, of InsideCatholic.com, expressed similar outrage in comments to FoxNews.com: "Why is it that people are allowed to publicly show that level of disrespect for Christian symbols? If the same thing was done to a symbol of any other religions -- Jewish or Muslim -- there'd be a huge outcry. It's simply not a level playing field."
In a statement to Fox, HBO tried to calm the controversy by reminding people who they're angry with.
"Anyone who follows 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' knows that the show is full of parody and satire," the network said. "Larry David makes fun of everyone, most especially himself. The humor is always playful and certainly never malicious."
The controversial episode, titled 'The Bare Midriff,' was actually more centered on David's paunchy assistant and her penchant for wearing tiny shirts. Larry has started taking a "new pill" to help increase his urine flow, which leads to the splashing. Later, he gets some on his assistant.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gwen Stefani, Blake Shelton Have Lip-Sync Battle With Jimmy Fallon; Vanessa, Nick Lachey Celebrate Adorable Son's Birthday: Top 5 Stories
- Ylvis Band Introduces "Trucker's Hitch" After "What Does the Fox Say?" Success: Watch Now!
- Connie Britton, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Were College Roommates: See the Amazing '80s Throwback Photo
- Maria Menounos Attends SPLASH An Exclusive Media Event By Live Love Spa At The Hyatt Regency Century Plaza
- New Mark Burnett game show ?500 Questions' coming to ABC
- Hollywood studios are urged to take extra precautions filming abroad amid rising global security issues
- 'NCIS' moves down South with New Orleans spinoff
- Daniel Radcliffe Visits Marijuana Café While in Amsterdam—See the Happy Pic!
- Will Smith Wishes Wife Jada Pinkett Smith a Happy Birthday With This Amazing Photo
- Tallulah and Scout Willis Take a Bath Together, Then Hit the Town After Reuniting for First Time in Months: See the Photos!