Larry David Urinates on Jesus Painting; Catholics Not Enthused
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 28th 2009 01:26PM
Catholic advocates are more than a little peeved with Larry David, whose HBO show 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' featured a segment this week that involved Jesus, out-of-control urine and mocking of the Christian belief in miracles.
If you're a fan and still haven't seen the episode, stop reading now.
In the episode, which aired Sunday, the comedian accidentally splatters while relieving himself near a portrait of Jesus, and opts not to wipe it off. His pious assistant and her mother see the picture and whole-heartedly believe their bathroom has been touched by God.
"Was Larry David always this crude?" Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League, said in a statement released Monday. "Would he think it comedic if someone urinated on a picture of his mother?"
Donohue noted that while he believes 'Seinfeld' (created by David) was "brilliant," the same can't be said about 'Curb.'
"David's best years are behind him" Donohue said, adding "he ought to quit while he's ahead."
The Catholic booster sees a pattern with the network. "This might be fun to watch, but since HBO only likes to dump on Catholics (it was just a couple of weeks ago that Sarah Silverman insulted Catholics on 'Real Time with Bill Maher'), and David is Jewish, we'll never know."
Deal Hudson, of InsideCatholic.com, expressed similar outrage in comments to FoxNews.com: "Why is it that people are allowed to publicly show that level of disrespect for Christian symbols? If the same thing was done to a symbol of any other religions -- Jewish or Muslim -- there'd be a huge outcry. It's simply not a level playing field."
In a statement to Fox, HBO tried to calm the controversy by reminding people who they're angry with.
"Anyone who follows 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' knows that the show is full of parody and satire," the network said. "Larry David makes fun of everyone, most especially himself. The humor is always playful and certainly never malicious."
The controversial episode, titled 'The Bare Midriff,' was actually more centered on David's paunchy assistant and her penchant for wearing tiny shirts. Larry has started taking a "new pill" to help increase his urine flow, which leads to the splashing. Later, he gets some on his assistant.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Timberlake Kisses Pregnant Jessica Biel's Bare Baby Bump on 34th Birthday: Instagram Photo
- Taylor Swift Wishes Justin Timberlake Happy Birthday, Posts Throwback Photo With Beyonce, Jay Z
- Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney to Perform at Super Bowl DirectTV Bash
- Authorities review video of Suge Knight incident
- Whitney Houston's daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, found unresponsive in tub
- Celebs and sports stars converge for pre-Super Bowl party
- Victor Cruz Reveals When He's Getting Married, Promises Giant Wedding Won't Be a "Snoozefest"
- Kim Kardashian Thinks North West May Be "Annoyed" at All Her Kisses, but What About Their Snuggle Fests?
- Birthday Boy Justin Timberlake Confirms Wife Jessica Biel Is Expecting, Shares Cutest (and Biggest) Baby Bump Photo