Chaz Bono Talks Sex, Puberty and Shaving
Cher's son started taking male hormones in March and noted several physical changes right away. "It lowered my voice. Fat redistributes, muscle growth, hair growth, sex drive increases. It doesn't change anything mentally and emotionally. [I'm] still not anywhere near what I will look like but really for the first time I am feeling much more comfortable with how I look physically... I always felt like the male from the time I was a child. There wasn't much feminine about me."
The physical changes will take about four to five years to complete, and Bono is okay with that. "I'll be on testosterone for the rest of my life. The nice thing about this process is it is slow. I am literally going through puberty."
Bono admits he was really excited the first time he could shave his face. "I shave about once a week now. It kind of started to come in just like peach fuzz. I always wanted to shave. It is a very natural process. For my birthday I got a lot of shaving stuff."
The biggest change occured when he underwent a very emotional surgery to remove his breasts. "Most people call it top surgery. The construction of the male chest from a female chest. When I went through puberty and started to grow breasts, it was very uncomfortable and emotional." When asked if he plans to undergo further surgery, he replied, "That's a personal decision and I don't really feel comfortable talking about anything below the waist."
Bono admits he can't personally speak for his mother Cher, but everyone close to him has been nothing but supportive. "The people in my life are just happy that I'm doing this and seeing the positive effect that its having on me," he said.
In June, Cher made her first public statement (via PEOPLE) since Chaz announced that he was undergoing a sex change. Cher said that Chaz is going through "a difficult journey, but one that I will support," and that she respects "the courage it takes to go through this transition in the glare of public scrutiny, and although I may not understand, I will strive to be understanding."
As the sex reassignment continues, he hopes that his life experience will help others. "[I'm] trying to use my life experience to educate people. I feel more like myself more than I ever felt. I feel happier and more confident. I used to live most of my life in my head because I was so uncomfortable in my body. The most important thing about this for me is that my outsides are finally starting to match my insides. I feel like I'm living in my body for the first time and it feels really good."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actors who played real people
- Bob Dylan's Newport guitar sells in NY for $965,000
- 'Family Guy's' Brian coming back in upcoming episode?
- ?The Following' season 1 video recaps ? EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS
- ?Sound of Music Live!': The original film's Von Trapp children respond
- ?Vampire Diaries' actress Candice Accola stars in The Fray's ?Love Don't Die' video, kisses fiance Joe King ? VIDEO
- Austin Mahone Wants a Lamborghini for Christmas!
- Danica Patrick on Paul Walker's Death: ?It Feels a Little Bit Too Close to Home'
- Paul Walker's Memorial Service: All the Details
- Wendy Williams: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Original Sound of Music Star Slams Carrie Underwood, Olympian Bode Miller Opens Up About "Brutal" Custody Battle for Son: Top 5 Stories
- Drew Barrymore Teases Baby's Gender With Blue and Pink Nails: See the Picture of Her Manicure