Paul Reubens: I Still Am Pee-Wee Herman
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 30th 2009 01:52PM
Paul Reubens for one role: Pee-wee Herman. In the latest issue of Details Magazine, he opens up about his constant obsession: "I am constantly hoping that, like, I'm still relevant at all." It makes sense. The 57-year-old actor is about to don the skinny suit again to perform as Pee-wee for the first time in 19 years -- starring in an elaborate live show. He just hopes people will come. "What I'm trying to prove now is that I still have it, I'm still around--I still am Pee-wee Herman, and Pee-wee Herman is still funny." he said.
Reubens made waves and sent fans into a tizzy when he announced he was bringing his brilliant Pee-Wee character back to the stage. The good vibes were short-lived, however, as the opening was pushed back from November to January. Fans quickly grew disappointed with not only the delay, but also the tedious ticket exchange process they had to go through for the rescheduled dates.
Reubens, always a man of the people, quickly issued a statement saying he would look into the matter, and that he'd like to meet with his fans who were affected so he could "grovel to them in person." Paul's Details Interview Below:
On channeling his character Pee-wee Herman again: "I always loved being that character... I could feel the love."
What he does on his time off: "I have no life outside of writing my show right now."
On his past headlines: "All this stuff that happened--the quote-unquote treatment I received--was not an inducement to come back to work. To wait for somebody to give me permission to have a career wasn't going to happen, you know? ... It's a drag to have tabloid baggage. It's weird to have your career be a footnote to that, especially when you love what you do. I'm not giving people that power anymore."
Does he still have his Emmys? "Are you kidding? I don't know where they are. They're in storage somewhere."
Paul Reubens in Details Magazine
Paul Reubens is about to don the skinny suit again to perform as Pee-wee Herman for the first time in 19 years. Here he poses for a photo for Details Magazine. More Pics >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actress Bynes arrested after tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Oklahoma natives Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood come to aid of tornado victims
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- 'Survivor: Caramoan' Winner John Cochran Lands CBS Writing Gig
- Cathy Schulman to Deliver UCLA School of Theater, Film and TV's Commencement Speech
- Amanda Bynes Arrested for Marijuana Possession (Report)
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- Woohoo! ?Simpsons' fans rejoice! Universal Studios is building Springfield
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination