'Today' Show Halloween Costumes, Starring Yoda Kotb and Matt Skywalker
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 30th 2009 09:54AM
For this year's costume party, 'Today' traveled to a galaxy far, far away for inspiration. Why 'Star Wars'? As Yoda would say: Dwell on the logic you mustn't. Just enjoy the ridiculousness of this most beloved annual tradition of watching Matt Lauer and company acting silly.
Working with George Lucas, the gang gussied up in elaborate costumes -- surrounded by Stormtroopers and huge set pieces from the original films. Al Roker showed up as Han Solo, while Meredith Vieira (with an Ewok by her side) bunned up as Princess Leia, Kathie Lee Gifford suited up as C-3PO, Ann Curry as cyborg meanie Darth Vader and Erin Burnett as Padme Amidala.
But the real fun began when Matt Lauer, as Luke Skywalker, had a hard time getting out of his X-Wing Fighter. The hatch opened at a crawl, leaving Lauer/Skywalker thoroughly helpless. "I got a bad feeling about this," Roker joked. After making some "c'mon, c'mon" gestures, Lauer was a finally able to pull himself out.
"Sorry, I'm late. I was on my laptop."
But the awkwardness level truly exploded moments later when Hoda Kotb emerged as -- you guessed it -- Yoda Kotb. "I am Yoda, I am." Unsure what to do next, Lauer began thanking George Lucas for providing the props, before being reminded that Curry was still wearing her Vader mask and needed to be introduced.
Later, an Ewok got a little frisky with Meredith. "Don't touch my butt!" she said.
Fans of synergy and corporate tie-ins will be curious as to why 'Star Wars' was chosen this year, when topics like the vampire craze, reality shows ('Jon & Kate') and 'Mad Men' could have been tackled. If you need a reason, go with the 'Star Wars: In Concert' live symphony show that is touring the nation right now.
'Today' Halloween Costumes
The 'Today' show gang always goes hog-wild on Halloween. Check out some of the costumes that made us smile >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Mariah Carey Vacations in Cleavage-Tastic Bikini With Pal Brett Ratner: Pics
- Carrie Underwood Shares First Real Shot of Adorable Baby Son Isaiah, Says He Wants to Be a Hockey Player: Pic
- Miranda Lambert Smooches Hubby Blake Shelton, Supports Little Big Town: "I Got a Song Crush!"
- ?Daily Show': Trevor Noah emerges on short list to replace Jon Stewart
- 'Home' scores big at the box office
- Tracey Ullman's mother dies in house fire at 85
- Carrie Underwood Shares New Photo of Baby Son Isaiah—See His Adorable Face for the First Time!
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Reunion! Will Smith Meets Tatyana Ali at Black Girls Rock!—See the Pic!
- The Future King of England Gets Into Scary Car Accident—See The Royals Clip!