Autistic Artist Draws NYC From Memory
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 3rd 2009 03:55PM
Stephen Wiltshire was diagnosed with autism at age three, and he was mute until age five. His drawings, which began as a way to calm him down from tantrums, have made him into a critically-acclaimed artist. They now sell for thousands of dollars a piece.
London-born Wiltshire, 35, recently came to New York City as both a tourist and an artist. After only a few minutes in a helicopter ride, he drew a 20-foot panorama of the city completely from memory. "I see the buildings and the skyline and see it from a bird's eye view," he told Reuters UK. "The whole of Manhattan."
It is the sixth in his collection of cityscape panoramas, following Tokyo, Rome, Hong Kong. Frankfurt, Madrid, Dubai, Jerusalem, and London, all of which he drew thanks to his photographic memory.
"I'm interested to see the skyscrapers and street scenes, the New York taxi cabs, limousines and big American cars," Wiltshire said of New York City. Compared with his hometown of London, he said New York "is very huge, of squares and rectangles and very easy avenues."
When he was young, his family noticed that drawing helped his tantrums. "The only thing to calm him down was to draw or play with toy double-decker buses," said his sister, Annette Wiltshire.
"I wanted to draw," he explained. "I feel good. I am pleased with what I am doing." He mainly uses ink, pencils, chalk, charcoal and colored pastels.
Wiltshire was named a Member of the Order of the British Empire by Prince Charles in 2006 for his services to the art world, and he has been featured in numerous galleries and television documentaries. Although he already has a successful career, he attends art school one day a week in London.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- George Clooney, Steve Wynn Have Heated Fight Over President Obama, Clooney Storms Off Dinner
- Kaley Cuoco's Faux Bob Inspired Her Real Bob: Stylist Spills All the Hair-Shearing Details
- Kate Hudson, Matthew Bellamy "So in Love" at Birthday and Anniversary Party
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- 'Bachelorette' creator 'in shock' after contestant's death that puts show in 'bizarre predicament'
- Censorship of film 'Halawet Rooh' in Egypt sparks national controversy
- Kevin Clash, voice of Elmo, cleared of sex abuse charges
- Kate Middleton Sports Her Hair in an Updo Twice in 19-Day Tour, Only Wears One Australian Designer
- Model Cassi Van Den Dungen Slams Anorexic Criticism, Says She Loves Her "Bones"
- Kate Upton: I Was a "Little Uncomfortable" Filming Bikini Scene for The Other Woman: Find Out Why!