Photog Dies After Taking Lady Gaga Pics
Lady Gaga stepped onto the red carpet on Monday night sporting a widow-esque black veil (above, left), and minutes later, celebrity photographer A.J. Sokalner was dead. Sokalner (above, right) was working the red carpet at the ACE Awards that the 'Poker Face' singer was attending in New York City when he collapsed just minutes after Gaga took to the carpet. He was pronounced dead at Bellevue Hospital shortly after, and the owner of ACE Pictures, who Sokalner worked for, says emergency workers said he had suffered a heart attack. He was in his late 50s.
Philip Vaughan, the owner of the ACE Pictures agency that Sokalner shot for, told PDN.com that A.J. "was very well liked, he was very well respected ... He was a real photographer and he did it because he loved it."
Fellow photographer Brian Lamb says he was just feet away from Sokalner when he fell ill.
"By the time I saw him, he was already blue and people were starting to give him CPR," according to Lamb. Other photographers on the scene say Sokalner hit his head when he collapsed.
Sokalner's friend Dennis Van Tine says he was also at the event, but by the time he got word of the incident, his friend was already being loaded into an ambulance.
Van Tine calls Sokalner "one of those silent guys who goes out and shoots every day." He adds that his friend "was a cynic in the great New York tradition ... He knew what was right, he knew what was wrong, he knew who the crooks were."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- BET, Bounce TV pull 'Cosby Show' reruns from air
- Paula Deen blasted for brownface Twitter picture
- LAPD investigating Bill Cosby's alleged sexual abuse of young model
- Hispanic Miss USA Contestants Weigh In on Donald Trump
- What Really Pushed Kourtney and Scott to the Breaking Point?
- Duggars Bid Bon Voyage to Jill and Derick… Wherever They're Going
- Jennifer Garner Returns to Work Following Ben Affleck Split, Keeps Wedding Ring on — See the Pics
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick Sell New York City Townhouse for $18.25 Million: Pictures
- Han Solo Star Wars Spinoff in the Works From Disney for 2018: Details