Rabbi Shmuley's Got No Time for Kate
Jon Gosselin's new spiritual advisor celebrity rabbi Shmuley Boteach tells PopEater he has his hands full at the moment dealing with Jon so Kate is out of luck if she wants to get some of the Shmuley love for herself. "I'm not up to that yet. Right now I can only focus on Jon," Shmuley told us after his public confessional with the dad of eight kids that kicked off the latest in Jon and Kate's battles: The war of public apologies.
Jon drew his sword when he got all confessional with Shmuley during a public forum in NYC Saturday night. He even admitted to some bad behavior in the last few months. "Half the stuff I've done, if I look at my moral compass, I shouldn't have done," he said. "Every day I look in the mirror and I wonder [why I'm famous]. I don't sing. I don't dance. I'm not a Nobel Peace Prize winner. I just had eight kids and I had a show on TLC." Jon also said he plans to apologize to Kate.
"I'm working on Jon's moral development," Shmuley told PopEater. "Jon was once a good husband and father and somewhere along the line that changed and I am helping him to return to his former self."
Shmuley wants to let folks know he isn't Jon's mentor, but more of a spiritual advisor (note Shmuley was also Michael Jackson's spiritual advisor). The two have been meeting for a few minutes a day and sometimes more. Jon is also working with a local pastor.
While Jon had Shmuley over the weekend, Kate found solace in her go-to public pulpit, the 'Today Show', by allowing morning show host Natalie Morales to conduct a teary tell-all TLC special that aired on Monday night. Kate admitted she was sorry for berating and bossing Jon during their marriage saying she was "wrong to treat him that way."
"It's hard to comment on an apology designed not to help the healing in a divorce but instead designed to manipulate us and what we think of them. It's meaningless and not only have we seen it before, we've seen it done much better," says radio host and author of 'Cult of Celebrity,' Cooper Lawrence of Kate's apologetics.
So now that the two have both moved into the apology phase of their marriage meltdown and divorce like Cooper wonders: Should we buy it?
PopWrap's Jarett Wieselman is skeptical.
"Jon Gosselin's remorse strikes me as faker than his marriage. A truly repentant person doesn't continue to issue press releases spotlighting his sorrow -- he simply lives it," Wieselman says. Although if an entire week goes by and he doesn't pop up on 'The Insider', at a party with Michael Lohan or in a staged photo op, I might begin to consider his contrition."
"We all want to change," Shmuley says about whether he himself buys Jon's remorse. "But at the end of the day words are not as important as actions. We should judge him by his actions."
So far John's actions aren't exactly screaming remorse. Tuesday morning Jon took to Twitter to digitally dig at Kate.
"Kate even slipped last night and admitted we split up a year ago! Though she claims she 'didn't remember' who called it quits," he tweeted about Kate's TLC confessional.
But like Rabbi Shmuley says, all real change takes time and everyone involved in this sitch seems to have a long way to go.
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Celebrity Fights -
- Gut Reactions -
- Splitsville -
- TV News -
- Exclusives -
- Hottest Stories
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Miss America 2015 Kira Kazantsev: My Sorority Did Not Kick Me Out For Hazing
- Charlo Greene Explains Why She Quit on Live TV With F-Word: Watch
- Shia LaBeouf Announces Bizarre Running-Inspired Performance Art Exhibit #Metamarathon
- Strutting & Strolling! Kanye West, Kim Kardashian & North Land In London, Expected To Attend Paris Fashion Week
- Tim McGraw's Alleged Slapping Victim Jesslyn Taylor Opens Up For The First Time About Violent Hit To The Head: ?It Was Hard!’
- Bad Romance? Lady Gaga Claims She Signed First Record Deal With Ex-Boyfriend Rob Fusari Because He Threatened Her, Shocking Court Docs Reveal
- 'DWTS' recap: Michael Waltrip gets a flat; Sadie Robertson does ... country jazz?
- Miss America Kira Kazantsev kicked out of sorority for hazing
- Celebrity nude photo hacks still a problem
- Spoiler Chat: Scoop on Grey's Anatomy, The Vampire Diaries, Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife and More!
- Paula Deen Returns to Today After 15 Months: "I'm Here to Make People Happy, Not to Bring Sadness"
- Courteney Cox Celebrates Friends' 20th Anniversary, Got Engaged at Jennifer Aniston's House