Rabbi Shmuley's Got No Time for Kate
Jon Gosselin's new spiritual advisor celebrity rabbi Shmuley Boteach tells PopEater he has his hands full at the moment dealing with Jon so Kate is out of luck if she wants to get some of the Shmuley love for herself. "I'm not up to that yet. Right now I can only focus on Jon," Shmuley told us after his public confessional with the dad of eight kids that kicked off the latest in Jon and Kate's battles: The war of public apologies.
Jon drew his sword when he got all confessional with Shmuley during a public forum in NYC Saturday night. He even admitted to some bad behavior in the last few months. "Half the stuff I've done, if I look at my moral compass, I shouldn't have done," he said. "Every day I look in the mirror and I wonder [why I'm famous]. I don't sing. I don't dance. I'm not a Nobel Peace Prize winner. I just had eight kids and I had a show on TLC." Jon also said he plans to apologize to Kate.
"I'm working on Jon's moral development," Shmuley told PopEater. "Jon was once a good husband and father and somewhere along the line that changed and I am helping him to return to his former self."
Shmuley wants to let folks know he isn't Jon's mentor, but more of a spiritual advisor (note Shmuley was also Michael Jackson's spiritual advisor). The two have been meeting for a few minutes a day and sometimes more. Jon is also working with a local pastor.
While Jon had Shmuley over the weekend, Kate found solace in her go-to public pulpit, the 'Today Show', by allowing morning show host Natalie Morales to conduct a teary tell-all TLC special that aired on Monday night. Kate admitted she was sorry for berating and bossing Jon during their marriage saying she was "wrong to treat him that way."
"It's hard to comment on an apology designed not to help the healing in a divorce but instead designed to manipulate us and what we think of them. It's meaningless and not only have we seen it before, we've seen it done much better," says radio host and author of 'Cult of Celebrity,' Cooper Lawrence of Kate's apologetics.
So now that the two have both moved into the apology phase of their marriage meltdown and divorce like Cooper wonders: Should we buy it?
PopWrap's Jarett Wieselman is skeptical.
"Jon Gosselin's remorse strikes me as faker than his marriage. A truly repentant person doesn't continue to issue press releases spotlighting his sorrow -- he simply lives it," Wieselman says. Although if an entire week goes by and he doesn't pop up on 'The Insider', at a party with Michael Lohan or in a staged photo op, I might begin to consider his contrition."
"We all want to change," Shmuley says about whether he himself buys Jon's remorse. "But at the end of the day words are not as important as actions. We should judge him by his actions."
So far John's actions aren't exactly screaming remorse. Tuesday morning Jon took to Twitter to digitally dig at Kate.
"Kate even slipped last night and admitted we split up a year ago! Though she claims she 'didn't remember' who called it quits," he tweeted about Kate's TLC confessional.
But like Rabbi Shmuley says, all real change takes time and everyone involved in this sitch seems to have a long way to go.
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Celebrity Fights -
- Gut Reactions -
- Splitsville -
- TV News -
- Exclusives -
- Hottest Stories
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Harry Styles Takes Kendall Jenner to Gay Bar, Gwyneth Paltrow Attends Jennifer Aniston's Holiday Party: Top 5 Stories
- Adam Shankman Checks Into Rehab, "Seeking Treatment"
- Paris Hilton Reunites With Simple Life Costar, Former BFF Nicole Richie in Miami: Picture
- Kenya Moore Reveals Heartbreaking Relationship With Her Mother: She Doesn’t Love Me & Pretends I’m Invisible
- 'The Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Break Time: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' inspires racy lingerie line
- Candace Cameron Bure: 'I'm not going to get naked, and I'm not going to have sex scenes'
- The Voice's Top 5 Take the Semi-Finals Stage, Sleepy Hollow's Fall Finale's Shocking Reveal and More OMG TV Moments!
- Lea Michele Releases Preview of Debut Single "Cannonball"—Plus, Check Out Her Album Cover for Louder!
- Gavin Rossdale and 24-Year-Old Daughter Daisy Lowe Enjoy Park Date in London—Take a Look!