About to Pop: Serabee
By Ashley Iasimone Posted Nov 9th 2009 01:00PM
Album: 'Serabee' EP
Video: 'Driving Me Stupid'
Hails From: Kiln, Miss.
For Fans Of: Christina Aguilera, Carrie Underwood
Why She's About to Pop: Hailing from the South, Serabee brings a soulful edge to pop music. The singer has been performing since the age of five, when she joined her father's touring band. Her father, a preacher, traveled with Serabee and the rest of the family around the country to play for church crowds. Serabee soon discovered the music of Aretha Franklin, Prince, Ray Charles and Steve Winwood, and they all influenced her own vocal style and attitude. In time, the singer developed her songwriting skills, and eventually penned Charlotte Church's 'Crazy Chick,' which became a big hit in the UK. Now, Serabee has recorded her own EP, filmed her first music video and is ready to introduce the world to her sound.
"I can't wait to get on the road," Serabee tells PopEater. "Playing music is my favorite thing, and it is so exciting to think about sharing mine with everyone." Check out Serabee's single, 'Driving Me Stupid,' and the rest of her debut EP, available on Nov. 10.
Seven Questions With Serabee:
Your single, 'Driving Me Stupid,' says, "These are the confessions of a woman in love." Was the song based on a real experience of yours?
Probably at the time. It's really hard for me to separate my life from my songwriting. It's part of me. And it drives me stupid when a guy doesn't do what I want him to.
What was it like to film the video for your first single?
Exciting and fun ... I loved dancing with the guys.
Which song from your new EP is your favorite, and why?
'Come Down to Earth' -- it's very personal and honest.
You've cited Prince, Ray Charles and Steve Winwood as influences. Are there any female artists that have inspired your style?
Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, KT Oslin, Mariah Carey and Carole King.
What are you currently listening to?
Kings of Leon, Adele and the Fray.
You were involved in music from a young age with your family. What's the best advice they've given you?
To be myself, follow my heart, never give up and pray.
What is in the works for you in the near future? Any plans to get on the road and tour?
I can't wait to get on the road. Playing music is my favorite thing, and it is so exciting to think about sharing mine with everyone. There are many sides of me, and onstage, I get to show them all.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Fans: Maroon 5's 'Animals' music video violent and 'disturbing'
- Pretty stars who go gritty on film
- Making age-appropriate music with former rock star John Mellencamp
- Firsts & Worsts: Annaleigh Ashford on ?Sex,' superstition, and Cyndi Lauper
- Minus some missteps, ?Shadow of Mordor' is one of the year's best games
- Miranda Kerr and Selena Gomez Pose for Awkward Pic at Paris Fashion Week
- No More Breakup Songs! Taylor Swift Says Dating ?Is the Last Thing' on Her Mind
- Brad Pitt Gushes About Fatherhood and How It Changed Him
- Kate Middleton Cancels Another Appearance Because of Severe Morning Sickness, Sends Apology Note
- Selena Gomez, Michelle Williams, and More Sit Front Row at Louis Vuitton Spring 2015 ? See Their Looks!
- Alyssa Milano Leaving Mistresses After Two Seasons: Find Out Why!