'Glee' Dancer is Waiting For His Close-Up
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 10th 2009 04:18PM
Harry Shum, Jr. isn't one of the main characters on 'Glee.' He hasn't yet had a solo. But if you've been watching FOX's prime time musical, we guarantee you haven't missed Shum's pop and lock dance moves. We spoke to TV's most unmissable background player about snagging the role of Mike Chang on 'Glee' and what's coming up on the show.
On the oft-repeated fan question - are the actors really singing on the 'Glee' soundtrack?: "Everyone, when they auditioned, had to audition with singing as well. As you saw on the World Series - they did that thing live. I think that kind of answered the question ... It's pretty much everyone singing. When we did the Nelly cover, 'Ride With Me,' that was recorded live. That was the whole point - [showrunner Ryan Murphy] wanted to get the chill vibe, that spur-of-the-moment singing."
On skills beyond his obvious dancing abilities: "I do sing as well, and I used to do musicals when I was a kid. Now [singing] is becoming the other arsenal that I'm working on."
On getting the role of Mike Chang: "I didn't really know what the show was, in the beginning. I heard it was a show Ryan Murphy was doing, so I knew it was going to be great writing. In the audition process, I had to do a reading and also sing. And dancing - I had a resume of dancing, so luckily that helped me get pushed through. Now, I didn't expect this crazy hype. I just fell into it and I'm so excited to be part of this. "
Harry Shum, Jr. From 'Glee'
CULVER CITY, CA - SEPTEMBER 08: Actors Harry Shum Jr. (L) and Matthew Morrison (R) arrive at the premiere of Fox's "Glee" at Willow School on September 8, 2009 in Culver City, California. (Photo by Michael Kovac/FilmMagic)
Michael Kovac, FilmMagic
Michael Kovac, FilmMagic
On the success of 'Glee' songs beyond the broadcast: "I heard that a lot of the originals are making their way back - that's great. A lot of the parents are bringing back the originals and their kids are singing the 'Glee' version. It's a really cool way for them to connect ... Neil Diamond actually tweeted something like, 'Who's this Puck guy, he sounds amazing.' That's crazy. Neil Diamond!"
On his favorite dance routines: "The mashups were the most fun, since we each got to play a different character - we were supposed to be on 'Vitamin D' - a little drugged up. It was fun playing that, we got a different emotion out of that, and I got to really do my thing and kind of get crazy with it ... We get to do some crazy stuff in the coming episodes that everyone's going to enjoy."
On getting his own storyline in the future: "There are so many characters... and we came in a little later. Even now, some of the cast members that are the regulars are still getting their storylines. Right now, they're developing our characters but making sure everyone gets their time. I think what's great is that the writers are slowly filling everyone out. They know what they want to do - and they also don't know what they want to do - I think it's going to take time for all the characters to develop. I'm looking forward to it."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kevin Zegers, Wife Jaime Feld Welcome Twin Girls: See Their Announcement
- Bachelor Season 20 Frontrunners Are Ben Higgins and Ben Zorn -- It's All About the Benjamins!
- Chace Crawford Dating Blood and Oil Costar Rebecca Rittenhouse — See Photos and Get All the Details From His B-Day
- Puddle of Mudd frontman Wes Scantlin accused of DWI, fleeing police in Minnesota
- Box Office Top 20: 'Ant-Man' beats 'Pixels' by a tentacle; 'Southpaw' outclasses 'Paper Towns'
- Hulk Hogan thanks fans for their support after being released from WWE contract
- Drake Drops Meek Mill Diss Track ''Charged Up'' as Twitter Impatiently Waits for Nicki Minaj's Man to Release His Response
- Anthony Geary's Final Episode on General Hospital Airs and Fan Reaction to Luke Spencer's Goodbye Is So Dramatic
- Puddle of Mudd Singer Wes Scantlin Arrested for DUI in Minnesota—See His Mug Shot!