A Lip-Synching Pop Star and a Dirty Comedian: What Else Do You Expect?
By Jo Piazza Posted Nov 11th 2009 03:45PM
Fans have been angry this week. First they stormed out of Britney Spears' Australian concert, upset with her lackluster performance and lip-synching to pre-recorded tracks. Then the Parents Television Council got their hackles up over the ultimately un-earth-shattering 'Gossip Girl' threesome episode that finally aired to a big OM-ZZZzzzzzz on Monday night. Even '30 Rock's' Tracy Morgan hasn't been spared the outrage. Offended fans bailed on the comedian's Friday night show at Carnegie Hall. Is fan anger being misplaced? What is America really angry about? We take a look after the jump.
PopWrap's Ryan Brockington says asking Britney Spears to actually sing and Tracy Morgan to be PG is like asking Adam Lambert to not use a flat-iron. These are things that are not going to happen
"From Britney's very first music video, her overuse of expression in the lip area has made her the robot we all know and love," Brockington says. "People don't love Britney Spears because of her stage shows -- Janet (Jackson) and Madonna, yes. Britney no."
Britney Spears has upset her Australian fans with her so-so performance on their tiny island. Fellow performer John Mayer (who does sing his songs) perfectly shamed the Australian public for their over-reaction in a tweet, saying: "If you're shocked that Britney was lip-syncing at her concert and want your money back, life may continue to be hard for you."
The word might not have traveled down under, but Britney Spears is first and foremost a performer. She dances and wears crazy outfits onstage and sometimes she sings, but all that dancing and outfit wearing is a lot of work and her mouth can't always keep up.
Where Britney didn't give enough show, it seems Tracy Morgan gave too much. Fans stormed out of his Carnegie Hall performance Friday as Tracy went on an R-rated rant talking about drugs, pornography and calling homosexuality a "choice." He also got in what some audience members thought was a slur on President Barack Obama saying, ""Obama is really changing the White House, because he and Michelle will have the first presidential sex tape out."
Folks need to remember that this is a man who has an actual habit of appearing drunk on live television and taking his clothes off.
"The only characters the general population may recognize on his resume are Tracy Jordan from '30 Rock' and Astronaut Jones from 'SNL,' both of which are womanizing, booze guzzling loonies. That's why we love Tracey," Brockington says.
Asking either Tracy or Britney to change who they are would just be bad for America. So we need to end this misplaced fan outrage and focus fan ire on something more dire and important like making sure the Octomom is using birth control
And as for "Gossip Girl", the PTC didn't succeed in getting a single affiliate to pull the episode that made even a threesome boring. So obviously that outrage was sorely misplaced.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner, and Robert Pattinson wave to their fans after the photocall for 'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' in Paris.
Dominique Charriau, WireImage
Dominique Charriau, WireImage
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Reba McEntire releases new song, 'Pray for Peace'
- EPA sends out tweet promoting Kim Kardashian game, apologizes for doing so
- Tim McGraw comments on altercation with female fan
- ?The Bachelorette: The Men Tell All': ?I had no idea you guys were kissing her so fast!'
- A serious attempt to understand Blake Lively's Goop-like website
- Dwayne Johnson maybe just revealed that he's playing a ?Justice League' superhero
- Happy Birthday to Prince George! See the Cutest Pics Ever
- Go Behind the Scenes of 'Divergent's' Epic Ferris Wheel Scene with Shailene Woodley
- Extra Scoop: Robert Downey Jr. Is Hollywood's Highest-Paid Actor
- Jennifer Lopez "Not Mad" About Hot Bikini Body in Hamptons for Birthday With Leah Remini: Instagram Picture
- Jimmy Kimmel Shares Adorable First Photos of Baby Daughter Jane With Molly McNearney
- Beyonce Shares Adorable Family Photo With Blue, Jay Z Amidst Rumors of Marriage Problems: Picture