Save the Frogs! Surprising Celeb Causes
'Jackass' stuntman Steve-O is also doing his share to save animals by teaming up with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to stop students from dissecting frogs in their science classes. He recently took part in a protest urging kids to "Cut class, not frogs" and has appeared in PETA ads with the same slogan.
Meanwhile, Jimmy Buffett co-founded the non-profit organization Save the Manatee Club to preserve the lives of the endangered marine mammals in Florida. The 'Margaritaville' crooner also recruited famous friends including actor John Lithgow, who wrote a children's book about manatees, to promote the cause with public service announcements.
Then there's Jennie Garth, who's tackling a different animal -- bad breath. The 'Beverly Hills 90210' star and former 'Dancing With The Stars' contestant has teamed up with Trident to lead oral hygiene workshops for kids in Los Angeles, urging them to keep their teeth clean and healthy and their breath minty fresh.
Hayden Panettiere is so passionate about dolphins that she risked her life to prevent them from being slaughtered in Japan. The young 'Heroes' star paddled out on her surfboard with a group of friends off the coast of Japan to non-violently protest fishermen's deadly practices. She also serves as a spokesperson for Save The Whales Again, a non-profit that works to end commercial and scientific whaling worldwide and raise public awareness of threats to dolphins and whales.
Madonna is more than just a material girl -- she's offered up one of her most prized possessions to a charity that assists Romanian gypsies. The pop star donated her Christian Dior high heels to be auctioned off for Ovidiu Rom, a non-profit organization that empowers the gypsy community through education and job training. She also spoke out on their behalf at her concert in Bucharest earlier this year, saying that widespread discrimination against Eastern European gypsies must come to an end.
Isaiah Washington works tirelessly to raise awareness of narcolepsy, a common sleep disorder. The former 'Grey's Anatomy' star, who has a close friend that suffers from the disorder, has joined forces with the Narcolepsy Network to increase understanding and awareness of narcolepsy, which afflicts approximately 200,000 Americans.
Daryl Hannah has gone to great lengths for environmental causes, getting arrested and chaining herself to a tree while protesting everything from mountaintop coal removal mining, which is believed to greatly harm the environment, to the demolition of a community garden in South Central Los Angeles.
Bruce Glikas, FilmMagic
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Salvatore Di Nolfi, Keystone / AP
Sean Gallup, Getty Images
Stephen Lovekin, Getty Images
Denis Farrell, AP
Brad Barket, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rod McKuen, mega-selling poet and performer, dies at 81
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons to play God in Broadway show
- Blythe Danner: Even I don't understand my daughter Gwyneth Paltrow
- Teresa Giudice's Life in Prison: Working Out and Dreaming of Spray Tans
- Human Ken Doll 2.0! Man Pays Over $265K to Reinvent Himself with Plastic Surgery
- Bruce Jenner Spotted Pouting in Public, and New Details About His Supposed Docu-Series
- Trista Sutter's Daughter Blakesley Reads Us Weekly, Looks in Awe of Desiree Hartsock, Chris Siegfried's Wedding Pics!
- Ryan Gosling Attempts His Best Australian Accent, Videobombs Russell Crowe While He's Presenting at the AACTA Awards -- Watch
- David Spade Spends $900K on Souped-Up Version of Joe Dirt Dodge Daytona Car, Says It's "Too Nice" to Drive!