Did Adam Lambert's Record Label Try to Hide His Sexuality?
"It's unfortunate, therefore, that your record label and management don't share the same view," he adds. But with Lambert's popularity stable in the aftermath of his big reveal... why not?
Lambert's sexuality was all but certain before his Rolling Stone interview. After pictures of him kissing another man had surfaced and most assumed he was gay, the singer told PEOPLE, "It's a really, really cool thing to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself ... and never make apologies for it."
"Embracing who you are and what makes you different is actually what's really cool," he said in May.
Lambert's label, 19 Entertainment, might have missed the memo. According to Hicklin, the label turned down numerous requests to feature Lambert on the Out cover because they feared it would impact record sales. This issue shows Lambert sharing the cover with Wanda Sykes, Cyndi Lauper, Lt. Dan Choi and Rob Marshall as part of the Out 100 Class of 2009. Hicklin says the label signed off "because this cover is a group shot that includes a straight woman."
Hicklin adds, "Albeit with the caveat that we must avoid making you look 'too gay.' "
"The irony is that right now it would be easier to get Kris Allen to do a solo cover shoot for us," Hicklin writes. "But only because he's straight."
The allegations are puzzling in light of Lambert's album cover, which one must assume is label-sanctioned. The singer appears in heavy makeup and blue hair, playing up his glam, flamboyant reputation. It appears to take a calculated risk of offending gay-wary consumers - unlikely to be Lambert's target demo.
Fans' support of Lambert also makes attempts to suppress his sexuality something of a moot point. After the revealing Rolling Stone interview, PopEater asked readers if Lambert's news was shocking. In a June poll, nearly 186,000 readers expressed no surprise that Lambert had come out. Only 3% of the PopEater audience didn't expect to hear that Lambert is gay.
Likewise, 142,000 or 90% of readers confirmed they would have voted the same way in the 'American Idol' competition if they'd already known for sure. And Lambert himself sees no reason to hide, as he told Rolling Stone. "I'm proud of my sexuality. I embrace it. It's just another part of me," he says.
More Adam Lambert photos >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Matt Damon to return to Jason Bourne franchise?
- 'Real Housewives' star Aviva Drescher accused of trying to extort artist
- Danielle Fishel: As a child star 'my curfew was 10 p.m.'
- L.A. Coroner: Lindsay Lohan Was Nowhere Near Whitney Houston's Body
- Katherine Webb & AJ McCarron's Wedding: Exclusive Pics of the Dress, Video and More!
- Extra Scoop: Adrian Peterson Speaks Out, Denies He's a Child Abuser
- Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Stars America Ferrera, Amber Tamblyn, Blake Lively, Alexis Bledel Reunite Over Brunch: Photo
- Jenni "JWoww" Farley Kisses Baby Daughter Meilani's Forehead as She Sleeps in Sweet Instagram Photo
- Jessica Simpson Looks Skinny In Sweet Birthday Photo With Husband Eric Johnson -- See the Pic!