'Wire' Hero Michael K. Williams Loved Getting 'Viggo-tized' on 'The Road'
By Bryan Alexander Posted Nov 19th 2009 06:00PM
Michael K. Williams might have a legion of hardcore fans (including a certain President of the United States) from his defining role as Omar in the epic series 'The Wire,' but that didn't stop him from being awed by working with Viggo Mortensen when shooting 'The Road.'
"Come on, we've all been Viggo-tized before," Williams says of the 'Lord of the Rings' stud and 'Road' co-star. "He has that charisma, he has a swagger. He's a great dude."
It's not that Williams takes it as far as some of Viggo's female fans: "(But) I have my own kind of love affair with him," says Williams. "I know whenever I see him in God's green earth I am going to get a hug. And we're going to get a drink, time-permitting. And we'll kick it a little bit."
Williams also has plenty of time for President Barack Obama, who singled him out as his favorite actor on his favorite television series. The compliment brought Williams to seek the politician out during the presidential race. During one campaign stop, Williams, who was not allowed to shave or cut his hair for the role in the apocalyptic 'Road,' got Obama-ized during a private meeting.
"(Obama) was like 'Where's Omar at!!! That's my man!! He's a man with code,'" Williams recalls, beaming.
"He found me and gave me the homeboy handshake with the hug and the pat behind the back. I had this thing I was going to tell him which was like you take over Washington and I'll take over Hollywood and I'll meet you back at the ranch. And I looked in this man's face and I saw his grace. He has a light over him. I was just like, 'God bless you, God Bless you.' That's all I could say."
The meeting with the now-president "put me on a path," the once politics-shy Williams admits. He's become an active campaigner for anything dear to President Obama's heart. "I don't try to get in his face, I don't try to get his number on my speed dial," Williams admits. "But anything that comes across my table involving him, I do my part. And I feel good."
Now that's a man with code.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- When clothes don't cooperate
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Gary Sinise and Joe Mantegna urging Americans to take a moment of appreciation on Memorial Day
- BBC Axes Digital Initiative, Saying It 'Wasted a Huge Amount' of Money
- German Soccer Rules Europe, Can It Conquer the World?
- Cannes: 'Magic Magic' Stars Juno Temple, Michael Cera on Culture Shock in Chile (Video)
- Season Finale Round-Up: Our TV critics on ?The Office,' ?Bates Motel,' ?Doctor Who,' ?Arrow,' ?Nashville' and more
- Mariah Carey swears, has a wardrobe issue on ?Good Morning America' ? VIDEO
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO)
- 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- 'Epic' Director Chris Wedge on Why He Almost Brought the Movie to Pixar and the Film's 'Gladiator' Influences