'New Moon' Sinks Teeth Into $140.7 Opening Weekend
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 22nd 2009 04:41PM
'New Moon' fever exploded over the weekend, as the second installment of the 'Twilight' saga opened up with $140.7 million in its first three days and pulled in a total of $258.8 million worldwide, according to studio estimates.
'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' kicked things off with the biggest Friday opening of all time with a whopping $72.7 million Friday, beating previous record holder 'The Dark Knight' which opened in 2008 with $67.2 million on nearly 800 more screens.
The $140.7 million total more than doubles the $69.6 million that 'Twilight' pulled in when it opened up last year.
The three-day gross was also enough to place 'New Moon' third on the all-time best opening list, behind last year's $158.4 million opening weekend for the Batman blockbuster 'The Dark Knight' and 2007's $151.1 million haul for 'Spider-Man 3.'
More 'New Moon' Mania:
Watch Below: Peter Facinelli Talks About the Upcoming Sequels
Photos From the New Moon Premiere
Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson Say the Darndest Things
All Things New Moon From Moviefone
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 2015 ACM Awards nominations: Surprises and snubs
- Appeals court rejects bid by Michael Jackson's mother for new trial in suit against promoter
- 2015 Super Bowl ads: You want 'em? We got 'em
- 'The Originals': Nathan Parsons on Hayley and Jackon's Wedding, Looming Battle With Klaus
- Berlin: Katie Holmes and Evan Rachel Wood Team for 'Taxonomy'
- Sundance: 'Dope' Gets Summer Theatrical Release Date
- This 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Trailer Is the Best Thing You'll See All Weekend (VIDEO)
- How Indie Filmmakers Have Transformed TV
- 10 Crazy Emotional 'Parenthood' Moments