'New Moon' Sinks Teeth Into $140.7 Opening Weekend
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 22nd 2009 04:41PM
'New Moon' fever exploded over the weekend, as the second installment of the 'Twilight' saga opened up with $140.7 million in its first three days and pulled in a total of $258.8 million worldwide, according to studio estimates.
'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' kicked things off with the biggest Friday opening of all time with a whopping $72.7 million Friday, beating previous record holder 'The Dark Knight' which opened in 2008 with $67.2 million on nearly 800 more screens.
The $140.7 million total more than doubles the $69.6 million that 'Twilight' pulled in when it opened up last year.
The three-day gross was also enough to place 'New Moon' third on the all-time best opening list, behind last year's $158.4 million opening weekend for the Batman blockbuster 'The Dark Knight' and 2007's $151.1 million haul for 'Spider-Man 3.'
More 'New Moon' Mania:
Watch Below: Peter Facinelli Talks About the Upcoming Sequels
Photos From the New Moon Premiere
Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson Say the Darndest Things
All Things New Moon From Moviefone
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes arrested after tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- 'Duck Dynasty' inspires greeting cards, cigars and other merchandise
- Memorial Day weekend special: Stars on the Beach!
- BBC Axes Digital Initiative, Saying It 'Wasted a Huge Amount' of Money
- German Soccer Rules Europe, Can It Conquer the World?
- Cannes: 'Magic Magic' Stars Juno Temple, Michael Cera on Culture Shock in Chile (Video)
- EW's Morning Bite: And the best sound bite from last night is?
- ?Arrested Development': Who's the most quotable Bluth? POLL
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination