'New Moon' Sinks Teeth Into $140.7 Opening Weekend
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 22nd 2009 04:41PM
'New Moon' fever exploded over the weekend, as the second installment of the 'Twilight' saga opened up with $140.7 million in its first three days and pulled in a total of $258.8 million worldwide, according to studio estimates.
'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' kicked things off with the biggest Friday opening of all time with a whopping $72.7 million Friday, beating previous record holder 'The Dark Knight' which opened in 2008 with $67.2 million on nearly 800 more screens.
The $140.7 million total more than doubles the $69.6 million that 'Twilight' pulled in when it opened up last year.
The three-day gross was also enough to place 'New Moon' third on the all-time best opening list, behind last year's $158.4 million opening weekend for the Batman blockbuster 'The Dark Knight' and 2007's $151.1 million haul for 'Spider-Man 3.'
More 'New Moon' Mania:
Watch Below: Peter Facinelli Talks About the Upcoming Sequels
Photos From the New Moon Premiere
Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson Say the Darndest Things
All Things New Moon From Moviefone
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Cream vocalist, bassist Jack Bruce dies at 71
- Rumer Willis is 'blown away' by her sister Tallulah's strength
- 'Breaking Bad's' Aaron Paul slams Toys R Us over recall
- New York TV Festival Unveils Winners of 20 Development Deals
- Jill Soloway: How a Detour Into Indie Filmmaking Led to Amazon's 'Transparent'
- Keanu Reeves: I Wanted to Play Batman and Wolverine But Was Passed Over
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons on 'Whiplash,' Drumming and Stoking Passion
- Wanted: Female Director for DC Comics 'Wonder Woman' Movie
- 'Whiplash' Director Damien Chazelle on His Film's Success and the Burdens of Drumming