'New Moon' Sinks Teeth Into $140.7 Opening Weekend
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 22nd 2009 04:41PM
'New Moon' fever exploded over the weekend, as the second installment of the 'Twilight' saga opened up with $140.7 million in its first three days and pulled in a total of $258.8 million worldwide, according to studio estimates.
'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' kicked things off with the biggest Friday opening of all time with a whopping $72.7 million Friday, beating previous record holder 'The Dark Knight' which opened in 2008 with $67.2 million on nearly 800 more screens.
The $140.7 million total more than doubles the $69.6 million that 'Twilight' pulled in when it opened up last year.
The three-day gross was also enough to place 'New Moon' third on the all-time best opening list, behind last year's $158.4 million opening weekend for the Batman blockbuster 'The Dark Knight' and 2007's $151.1 million haul for 'Spider-Man 3.'
More 'New Moon' Mania:
Watch Below: Peter Facinelli Talks About the Upcoming Sequels
Photos From the New Moon Premiere
Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson Say the Darndest Things
All Things New Moon From Moviefone
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies at age 82
- 'The Big Bang Theory' recap: More money, more problems
- Taylor Swift slams critics for being sexist
- Sony Pictures Television Takes Stake in Israeli Telenovela Channels
- John Lasseter: Disney-Pixar Has No Plans to Localize in Asia Just Yet
- Oscar de la Renta in Photos
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Let's revisit Larry King's 2 a.m. Twitter rampage
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Will Have More Visual Effects Than Any Other Marvel Movie
- Florida Mom Petitions Toys 'R' Us to Remove 'Breaking Bad' Figures From Stores