'New Moon' Sinks Teeth Into $140.7 Opening Weekend
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 22nd 2009 04:41PM
'New Moon' fever exploded over the weekend, as the second installment of the 'Twilight' saga opened up with $140.7 million in its first three days and pulled in a total of $258.8 million worldwide, according to studio estimates.
'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' kicked things off with the biggest Friday opening of all time with a whopping $72.7 million Friday, beating previous record holder 'The Dark Knight' which opened in 2008 with $67.2 million on nearly 800 more screens.
The $140.7 million total more than doubles the $69.6 million that 'Twilight' pulled in when it opened up last year.
The three-day gross was also enough to place 'New Moon' third on the all-time best opening list, behind last year's $158.4 million opening weekend for the Batman blockbuster 'The Dark Knight' and 2007's $151.1 million haul for 'Spider-Man 3.'
More 'New Moon' Mania:
Watch Below: Peter Facinelli Talks About the Upcoming Sequels
Photos From the New Moon Premiere
Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson Say the Darndest Things
All Things New Moon From Moviefone
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Don Rickles recovering from flesh-eating disease
- Carrie Undewood tweets Bible verse in response to critics
- Justin Timberlake's Grammy Snub?
- Actress Kate Williamson Dies at 83
- NYC Comedy Club Owner Robert Wachs Dies at 73
- TV Ratings: 'Shark Tank' Hits Highs, Grammy Noms Tie at 10 O'Clock
- ?The Following' season 1 video recaps ? EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS
- ?Sound of Music Live!': The original film's Von Trapp children respond
- ?Vampire Diaries' actress Candice Accola stars in The Fray's ?Love Don't Die' video, kisses fiance Joe King ? VIDEO
- 'In Secret' Trailer: Oscar Isaac and Elizabeth Olsen Are Killer Lovers (VIDEO)
- 'Star Wars' Fans, Start Saving: Han Solo Gun to Go Up for Auction
- 'X-Men' Kind of Confuses Ian McKellen