Steve Perry Talks About 'Believin'' on 'Glee,' 'Sopranos'
"I would give it an A," Perry tells PopEater exclusively. "I think they did a good job." He then added, laughing along the way, that "A+ is reserved for the original. That's a little shameless promotion, forgive me."
When asked directly if 'Glee' "crapped on" the song, the singer answered honestly. "No. They did a really nice heartfelt high school interpretation of a song," Perry tells PopEater.
Perry has maintained vigilance with projects using his former-group's classic song, making sure they "don't degrade the music" -- even insisting on knowing how the 'Sopranos' producers were going to use the song to end that iconic series. "I didn't want to see Tony Soprano get whacked during Just a Small Town Girl," Perry tells us.
For 'Glee,' Perry was shown a rough cut of the wildly popular show's finale before it aired and was blown away. "I thought it was edgy writing and I was impressed," he says. "That was before we got to the song."
He's not alone in loving the revamped version, which hit gold certification for digital sales in excess of 500,000 downloads.
The new take on the tune didn't exactly bring back high school memories for the rocker who didn't do the glee-club. Not surprisingly, he rocked drums in an R&B band. "The jocks didn't like us and the glee club didn't like us," Perry admits. "We were admired by the people who went to the after-game dances. They could dance to our music."
The dancing continues. Perry even heard that whole new generations of "Believin'" fans were belting out the tune as 'Glee' producers accepted the gold plaque for the song. "There were people around the area singing during the ceremony," Perry says. "Can I ask you one thing? What is possibly wrong with that?"
Skip Bolen, WireImage
Jason Kempin, Getty Images
Jemal Countess, Getty Images
George Pimentel, WireImage
Andrew H. Walker, Getty Images
Kevin Mazur, WireImage
Stephen Lovekin, Getty Images
Denise Truscello, WireImage
Dave M. Benett, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Shia LaBeouf's lawyers working to resolve NYC arrest
- 'True Blood' actor Nelsan Ellis: Former star quit because he didn't 'want to play a gay part'
- Jason Aldean recalls wild night with Kenny Chesney
- Questlove Defends Iggy Azalea, Says "Fancy" Is a "Game-Changer" for Hip-Hop Culture
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson: Fast Seven Is "Very Special," "Emotional" After Paul Walker's Death
- Candace Cameron Bure on Danica McKellar's Fiance: "They Just Suit Each Other"
- Brady Oestrike's Friend Speaks Out, Police Issue Update On Decapitation & Other New Developments
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West's Daughter North Takes Her First Steps, Mom Celebrates On Social Media