'Jon and Kate' Say Goodbye in TLC Finale
The show came to a somewhat abrupt close in the wake of squabbling and scandals that not only tainted the show's previously wholesome atmosphere, but also halted any filming of the children several weeks ago.
During the series' final hour, the young twins and sextuplets toured a fire station with their dad near the family home in Wernersville, Pa. Then, with Kate, they visited a local dairy farm, for what she emotionally noted was the series' last shoot.
Those were the sort of heartwarming activities that had won 'Jon & Kate' a devoted following when it premiered two years ago. But the show fell apart after the Gosselins announced their split in June and became battling tabloid fixtures.
A plan announced by TLC early this fall called for 'Jon & Kate Plus 8' to segue into 'Kate Plus Eight,' a series that would have concentrated on the kids and their newly single mom, with Jon Gosselin taking a much-reduced role. But that plan was apparently torpedoed by his objections to having the children displayed on TV any longer. They have not been filmed since.
According to Jon's his attorney Mark Heller, "Jon impressively put the best interests of his children above all and was extremely appropriate in his approach to the mediation. As a result of that, it came to a successful resolution."
On Saturday, the couple met for more than six hours at a law office in the Philadelphia suburbs to discuss unresolved marital issues, including custody of their eight children and the distribution of marital property. Heller said an arbitrator will rule by Christmas and that the divorce could be finalized by the close of 2009.
Heller declined to comment on the terms of the divorce. As for the roses Jon allegedly offered Kate? Heller said his client brought them "as a peace offering to try to melt down the freeze that he perceives to be coming from the other side."
There was no comment Monday from the attorney for Kate Gosselin.
And as for her television future in lieu of 'Kate Plus Eight,' TLC has said it is now focusing on the launch of a series in which she would star, scheduled to premiere next spring. The network has offered no details on what kind of show it might be.
MORE ABOUT Kate Gosselin
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kate Gosselin Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Angelina Jolie's Wedding Dress Featured Colorful Designs Drawn By Her and Brad Pitt's Kids -- See the First Pic!
- Carrie Underwood is Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Husband Mike Fisher!
- Melissa Rivers Releases New Statement on Mom Joan River's Condition; Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leaked: Top Weekend Stories
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' tops Labor Day, summer box office
- FBI, Apple begin inquiries into nude celebrity photo leaks
- Carrie Underwood announces she is pregnant with her first child
- 11 Times Lifetime's Saved By the Bell Movie Ruined Our Childhood
- Newly Single Britney Spears Ready for a "Hot Guy," Supports Jamie Lynn Spears at Los Angeles County Fair
- Morgan Stewart and Brendan Fitzpatrick Face Major Baby Drama—See the #RichKids of Beverly Hills Recap!