Adam Lambert: I'm a 'Role Model' or a 'Nightmare'
For Lambert, as an openly gay pop idol, he is also aware that just as there people who are going to form very strong opinions about him, he will be a source of inspiration to others looking for the courage to express themselves. In short he will be a role model as he says. To him that's both inspiring and odd.
"The role model thing is interesting, it's kind of like a catch 22," he says. "Part of me is like, 'That's flattering.' And if I'm helping people find truth in their lives or lead lives are more open themselves, if they feel that they also want to be comfortable in their skin, than that's great. If I can inspire that I'm thrilled."
At the same time he also wants people to know he's not openly trying to be a mentor or icon.
"But, I'm also a musician. I'm not standing here trying to show anybody how to live their lives or what the best way is or how to fix themselves, necessarily," he says. "I'm just offering my opinion. If that make me a role model, indirectly then so be it, that's great, but I don't want to take on that responsibility. I'm just trying to put on a show."
And Lambert promises when he gets on the road 'For Your Entertainment,' he's not going to tone down. He is looking to put the show back into concerts. "I want some production values, I want there to be stuff to look at, and I want costumes, dancers, if I can get it. That's my dream," he says.
Who does he look to for inspiration as performers? "Back in the 70's you had acts like Queens, a showman that really controlled the stage and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin is someone who really worked the stage. There are people like that that I look to for stage presence and how to command," he says. "As for production values you look at later, people like Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Madonna big pop acts that put on spectacles and brought theatricality into pop music. Somewhat marrying the two of those things is kind of a dream of mine. It's that rock command meets a theatrical stage show."
Can't get enough Lambert? Watch as BestWeekEver.tv Managing Editor (and PopEater pal) Michelle Collins talks AMAs with Adam ... and shares a martini. Check It Out!
Kristian Dowling, Getty Images
Ray Tamarra, Getty Images
Bryan Bedder, Getty Images
Gary Gershoff, WireImage
Lester Cohen, WireImage
Michael Bezjian, WireImage
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- American Idol -
- Music News -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Adam Lambert
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- ?New Girl' renewed for season 5 by Fox
- Trevor Noah's tweets called 'anti-Semitic,' 'sexist;' Comedy Central stands behind new 'Daily Show' host
- 'Britain's Got Talent' execs afraid of host's wardrobe malfunctions?
- Exclusive! Joe Giudice Describes Teresa's Life in Prison and More
- Go Gold! Get Rumer Willis' ?Dancing with the Stars? Sexy Samba Beauty Look!
- Extra Scoop: Comedy Central Defends 'Daily Show' Replacement Trevor Noah
- Zoe Kravitz Wears Dominatrix-Inspired Latex Outfits for Complex Magazine: See the Steamy Pictures
- Joni Mitchell, Iconic Singer-Songwriter, Hospitalized After Being Found Unconscious: Report
- Newlyweds: The First Year Couple Erik Courtney, Nadine Jolie Courtney are Expecting Their First Child