Roasted Baby on Spit Was 'Too Much' for 'Road' Director
By Bryan Alexander Posted Nov 25th 2009 04:58PM
the critically-lauded movie, as director John Hillcoat took that scene out of the final cut of the movie, which opens this weekend. Read Why After the Jump!
Watch a Trailer for 'The Road'
Hillcoat says that in the beginning of the filming process, keeping the baby scene was something he insisted on. "That was something I was fighting for," he said during a recent press junket.
"I said 'We cannot shy away from it,'" he says. But after winning the fight and shooting the scene, he did a complete reversal. "I ended up fighting, saying 'We have to get rid of this scene,'" says Hillcoat.
It wasn't the sensational aspects of the visual that got him to change his mind, though. "We didn't film it like a big close-up, sizzling baby," says Hillcoat. "We tried to do it in a restrained way."
But the image lost the impact that McCarthy's words had, describing the terrifying picture meant to highlight the depths of human depravity. "When you hear about it, it's chilling. It's like the best horror movies are not when the monsters are upfront," says Hillcoat. "In your head it had a different, real impact. When you see it (onscreen), it was so literal and too much."
Something to be thankful for sure for the weak of stomach. Hillcoat says the story depicting a time of canned food, roving cannibals and the end of the world is actually appropriately timed. "The film is all about giving thanks for what we have," he says. "There's no better time than Thanksgiving. Focusing on what really matters."
"It's not a summer movie," he adds. "Let's face it."
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Tom Cruise films a romantic dinner scene for "Knight & Day" while his co-star, Cameron Diaz, eavesdrops on his meal in this scene.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Britain still grappling with barrage of celebrity sex abuse
- Lou Ferrigno's wife Carla Ferrigno accuses Bill Cosby of assault; more come forward
- Norman Lear: Possible 'All in the Family' reboot for 2015
- Two More Women Accuse Bill Cosby of Being a Sexual Predator
- Glenn Beck: AP "Raped" Bill Cosby By Posting His Response to Rape Allegations Question
- Watch New "Celebrity Mean Tweets" With Britney Spears, Gwyneth Paltrow and Scott Foley
- What in the World Is Going On at 'The Today Show'?
- Eddie Redmayne Facts: 23 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the 'Theory of Everything' Star
- 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Review: A Dull, Dark Exercise