Roasted Baby on Spit Was 'Too Much' for 'Road' Director
By Bryan Alexander Posted Nov 25th 2009 04:58PM
the critically-lauded movie, as director John Hillcoat took that scene out of the final cut of the movie, which opens this weekend. Read Why After the Jump!
Watch a Trailer for 'The Road'
Hillcoat says that in the beginning of the filming process, keeping the baby scene was something he insisted on. "That was something I was fighting for," he said during a recent press junket.
"I said 'We cannot shy away from it,'" he says. But after winning the fight and shooting the scene, he did a complete reversal. "I ended up fighting, saying 'We have to get rid of this scene,'" says Hillcoat.
It wasn't the sensational aspects of the visual that got him to change his mind, though. "We didn't film it like a big close-up, sizzling baby," says Hillcoat. "We tried to do it in a restrained way."
But the image lost the impact that McCarthy's words had, describing the terrifying picture meant to highlight the depths of human depravity. "When you hear about it, it's chilling. It's like the best horror movies are not when the monsters are upfront," says Hillcoat. "In your head it had a different, real impact. When you see it (onscreen), it was so literal and too much."
Something to be thankful for sure for the weak of stomach. Hillcoat says the story depicting a time of canned food, roving cannibals and the end of the world is actually appropriately timed. "The film is all about giving thanks for what we have," he says. "There's no better time than Thanksgiving. Focusing on what really matters."
"It's not a summer movie," he adds. "Let's face it."
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Tom Cruise films a romantic dinner scene for "Knight & Day" while his co-star, Cameron Diaz, eavesdrops on his meal in this scene.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Hilary Duff says new album will reflect Texas roots
- Vince Neil says no more country music for Motley Crue
- Ryan Seacrest talks new season of 'American Idol'
- 'The Good Wife' Star on Surprising Turn: Everything Changed in an Instant
- Michael Moore Out as Michigan Film Board Member
- Ray Lewis' Remarks on Ray Rice Add to Controversy: "Some Things You Can Cover Up"
- Entertainment Geekly: ?Super Smash Bros.' was the best and worst thing to happen to Nintendo
- Hear three tracks from the all-star ?Here Lies Love' remix album
- Weekend Box Office: 'The Maze Runner' Sprints to No. 1
- Jimmy Fallon Got a Shirtless James Franco and Seth Rogen for His Birthday (VIDEO)
- These Are the 15 Funniest 'The Cosby Show' Episodes Ever (VIDEO)