Shhh, It's a Secret: Why Stars Keep Their Relationships Quiet
By Jo Piazza Posted Nov 27th 2009 05:00PM
Why are celebrities oh so coy talking about their romantic relationships? Do they really think their non-denial denials and their excuses and proclamations that their love life is nobody's business make us lose interest. You know why it is our business...because you're famous and ultimately we pay your bills.
After the jump, PopEater takes a look at why Kate Hudson, Kristen Stewart and Penelope Cruz stay so quiet about the men in their lives.
Want to know what we mean? Watch Kate Avoid Oprah's Simple "How'd You Meet A-Rod" Questions Around the 5:30 Mark:
Even if a celeb admits to having a relationship, they hate answering that age-old "So how did you meet?" question. You didn't meet on Mars, so just tell us that some other famous person introduced you or that your agents thought it would be a good idea for you to get together or you met while doing something only famous people get to do.
Last week, Kate Hudson tried to proffer Oprah Winfrey (Oprah!!) a "no comment" when the talk show host asked how she and boy toy Alex Rodriguez met. And even though the pair have been smooching all over New York City, Hudson said..."I always feel weird. It's a thing." Kudos to Oprah for being as irritated as we all are. "At least say how you met," Opes demanded. "Because I was going to ask you are you house hunting and are you engaged?"
Best of all Hudson seemed shocked...just shocked that out of everything Oprah would choose to ask her to talk about her relationship with one of the most famous professional athletes in the world.
"I get the whole 'romantic life is private' thing, bit come on! Kate Hudson not saying her and A-Rod are a thing is like Ashlee Simpson denying a nose job. The jig is up, your fans aren't stupid," explains PopWrap's Ryan Brockington.
"Secondly, No one says no to the big O. I'm surprised Oprah let her get away with it. I think most celebs act like they don't want to talk about 'it' so 'it' stays all mysterious."
"New Moon" star Kristen Stewart claimed to 'Entertainment Tonight,' that she can't talk about her relationship with co-star Robert Pattinson because she needs to "protect" herself.
"The only way that I'm able to stay sane is to protect myself, and like, I know that it doesn't matter how you answer a question, it's going to tip," Stewart said.
What exactly is she protecting herself from is the question?
And last week on the David Letterman show Penelope Cruz dodged questions about her relationship with hunky Javier Bardem when Dave began prying.
"I don't feel comfortable talking about my private life in public," she said, and there wasn't even a language barrier!
"A lot of celebrities do it because it makes them more interesting. Being coy about it makes us talk about celebrities more," explains radio host, psychologist and author of "The Cult of Celebrity" Cooper Lawrence. "For other celebrities they feel that so much of their life has become public they have nothing left that is private and what's more private than what goes on in the bedroom?"
At the end of the day fans aren't asking their favorite boldfacers to take a flip cam into their bedrooms. We just want to know where you went on your first date. And when you will move in together, get married and have babies. It isn't oh so much to ask.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Rihanna gets her audience riled up (and nearly pops out of her top) as she performs on the "Good Morning America" stage in New York City.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- ?The rich get richer': Celebs get tons of expensive stuff for free at Cannes
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Kellie Pickler shines and Aly Raisman tries pole dancing
- Country star Toby Keith: Tornado-ravaged Oklahoma hometown is 'strong and will persevere'
- John Malone's Liberty Global Eyes Sale of TV Channels Arm (Report)
- Cannes: Indian Director Anurag Kashyap on His Five Films on the Croisette (Q&A)
- Cannes: U.K.'s Rainmark Films Partners With Germany's Beta for Nordic Crime Thriller
- How to save ?American Idol' (Someone has to!)
- ?Revolution' react: Paranoia
- ?Bates Motel' season finale: [SPOILER] kills [SPOILER]
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- New DVD Blu-Ray: 'Side Effects,' 'The Last Stand'
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On
- 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward