Who Is Elin Nordegren, Otherwise Known as Mrs. Tiger Woods?
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 30th 2009 03:45PM
A beautiful blonde Swedish model named Elin Nordegren married Tiger Woods, stood quietly by his side at golf tournaments and gave birth to his two children, while trying to remain out of the spotlight.
Now Nordegren is being thrust into the public eye after her husband crashed his car in their front yard, as speculation runs rampant as to what happened in the early morning on Friday, Nov. 27.
But what do we know about Mrs. Woods? The Daily Beast looks into Elin.
Her parents divorced when she was 6: Thomas Nordegren and Barbro Holmberg split in 1986.
She modeled but didn't make a career out of it: In her native Sweden, Nordegren modeled some. "She wasn't a high-profile model," a source from a New York-based agency explained to the Daily Beast.
After college, she became a nanny: Elin worked for Swedish golfer Jesper Parnevik. It was through him she would meet her future husband.
Elin and Tiger met in 2001, at the British Open: He asked her out through a friend, which didn't sit well with Nordegren. "Her reaction was, 'What the hell was that?' She thought it was so weird and pathetic. Of course she said no," a friend of the Parneviks told Sports Illustrated.
Tiger persisted and would eventually win her over: Woods kept calling the Parneviks to convince Nordegren to go out with him and she finally said yes.
They found out they had a lot in common: She played sports and knew a lot about golf. "She was also conservative by nature, like him," a golf-industry source told the Daily Beast.
They married in a lavish 2004 ceremony: Their wedding and reception reportedly cost a cool $1.4 million.
She seemed like the perfect athlete's wife: "You could point to a thousand candidates for a professional athlete to choose from for a wife and she was maybe No. 1," the golf-industry source added.
They couple appeared to be fine: "I can only speak from their public appearances and very few private ones, but they seemed not to have any kind of conflict. What we think happened probably did, but there was no evidence of it. This wasn't like Dennis Rodman, who lived out his hostile relationships in the press," the golf-industry source said.
She doesn't speak to her father anymore: "I haven't spoken to her in the last few ... I don't want to go into that," Thomas Nordegren told the Associated Press in Sweden.
Her mother refuses to comment on the situation as well: "She doesn't want to comment on private issues like these," Barbro Holmberg's spokesperson said.
Elin Nordegren Snapshots
FILE - In this Nov. 21, 2009 file photo, Tiger Woods with his daughter Sam and wife Elin are seen before the start of a NCAA college football game between Stanford and California in Stanford, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez, File)
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Cheryl Burke: This is 'probably' my last season on 'Dancing With the Stars'
- 'Jersey Boys' lyricist Bob Crewe dead at 83
- Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane sentenced in assault for hitting fan with vodka bottle at nightclub
- Dancing With the Stars Season 19 Premiere Recap: First Dances Bring Gaffes, Greatness
- Miss Nebraska Megan Swanson Flashes Underwear on Live TV; Angelina Jolie Looks Sporty in Shorts with Brad Pitt: Top 5 Stories
- Khloe Kardashian Jokingly Blames Pregnant Sister Kourtney For Her Weight Gain
- Fallen PALINtician! Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin Emerges Looking Haggard In Wake Of Alleged Family Brawl ? Where's Her Wedding Ring?!
- Sarah Palin's Haggard And Without Wedding Ring Post Alleged Brawl
- Crumbling Empire: Teresa Giudice Lists Beloved Jersey Shore House & Family Boat After Mansion Put On Market ? Ahead Of October Sentencing Date