'Twilight,' 'Gossip Girl' Stars Fight Poverty
"In the last election, and over the course of history, young people have shown that when we get organized and committed, we are powerful. The fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease in poor countries needs our support, our energy and our commitment," said 'Twilight' actress and ONE member Ashley Greene.
The PSAs also feature actors and actresses Jessica Szohr from 'Gossip Girl,' Kellan Lutz, Nikki Reed and Jackson Rathbone from 'Twilight,' Tristan Wilds from '90210,' Corbin Bleu from 'High School Musical,' 'and 'Tropic Thunder' actor Brandon T. Jackson."
"Coming Together as One" is a campaign to recruit more young people into the growing global movement to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. ONE is the anti-poverty group cofounded by Bono.
Bruce Glikas, FilmMagic
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Salvatore Di Nolfi, Keystone / AP
Sean Gallup, Getty Images
Stephen Lovekin, Getty Images
Denis Farrell, AP
Brad Barket, Getty Images
According to a press release from ONE, "In less than 2 years, thanks to expanded distribution of bednets and malaria medication, malaria deaths in Africa have been cut in half in countries like Ethiopia, Rwanda and Zambia. Between 1999 and 2006, 34 million additional children in Africa were enrolled in school for the first time."
"Today's young people have already shown us they are powerful change-makers. They've done it in the recent presidential election and many are looking for the next social movement," said David Lane, President and CEO of ONE.
"Coming Together as One aims to harness that power and build a buzz among Millennials. We know this generation can help defeat extreme poverty, put more kids in school and protect families from preventable disease such as AIDS, TB and malaria."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- MSNBC apologizes for guest's inflammatory comment on country music
- Cate Blanchett loses patience with reporter
- Hope Solo: Dealing with a lot of my issues
- Extra Scoop: Does Taylor Swift Have a Hot New A-List BF? See the Pics
- Get Inspired by the T.G.I.T. Style of 'Scandal's' Lady Gladiators
- Make a Sexy Hair Statement for Spring in Two Easy Steps
- Molly Sims Welcomes Second Child, Baby Girl With Husband Scott Stuber
- Will Arnett, Alessandra Ambrosio Cozy Up at Basketball Game...Wait, What? See the Pictures
- Khloe Kardashian Thinks Scott Disick Is "Shady," Kourtney Kardashian Says He's "Wheeling and Dealing" in KUWTK Clips: Watch!