Meredith Baxter Reveals She's Gay
After recent reports say 'Family Ties' mom Meredith Baxter was spotted on a gay cruise, the actress is coming clean on 'Today,' saying: "I want to say I'm a lesbian, and it was a later-in-life recognition." In an interview with Matt Lauer, Baxter -- who has been married three times and has five children -- says she figured out her sexuality seven years ago.
"Some people would say, well, you're living a lie and, you know, the truth is – not at all. This has only been for the past seven years," Baxter told Lauer. She says she didn't disclose this before because she has "always lived a very private life," and that "to come out and disclose stuff is very antithetical to who I am."
Baxter says that she realized she needed to come forward because she "got involved with someone I never expected to get involved with, and it was an awakening. I understood why I have the issue in my life ... I was involved with people who made me think they're the problem. It never occurred to me, that it was me," Baxter said.
The actress has been dating building contractor Nancy Locke for four years and acknowledges that she's the reason she decided to come out publicly.
"As much as my family knew, I was not ready to make any big announcement, I didn't want to do that. And there was one time when I was concerned that there might be some press interest ... I didn't know but I got a little paranoid and Nancy's a general contractor so she has a truck ... And I said, 'Could you park down the street, please?' and she said, 'No.'" Meredith explained.
"I had to reach a level of comfort because it wasn't fair to push her back into secrecy. We live very out lives in Los Angeles," she said.
According to LimeLife, Locke, who is 54, and Baxter met through mutual friends.
Speculation about Meredith's sexuality was raised when tabloid magazine The National Enquirer reported that she was spotted on a gay cruise recently.
Baxter shot to fame thanks to her role as matriarch Elyse Keaton on the hit '80s sitcom 'Family Ties.' Before her success there, she already had a long career in showbiz, with acting gigs dating all the way back to 1971. She had stints on 'The Love Boat,' 'Family' and 'Bridget Loves Bernie,' among other shows and movies.
Baxter has five children from three separate marriages. She had two children with husband Ted Bush, and later had three more with David Birney.
In recent years, Baxter has become very focused on charity work since she survived breast cancer. She's since started her own charity -- the Meredith Baxter Foundation for Breast Cancer Research.
Amy Graves, WireImage
David Livingston, Getty Images
Michelly Rall, Wire Image
Ron Galella, Wire Image
Neilson Barnard, Getty Images
Jason Kempin, Wire Image
Jeffrey Mayer, Wire Image
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sherri Shepherd Responds to Rosie O'Donnell's "Aneurysm" Diss, Talks About The View and Divorce
- Melissa Rivers Speaks Out For First Time Since Joan Rivers' Funeral: My Mother Would Have Been "Overwhelmed" By The Support
- Kim Zolciak Flashes Tiny Swimsuit Body in Mirror Selfies: Pictures
- Inside Jenelle Evans’ Major Delivery Room Drama
- Kim Zolciak Shows Off The Results Of Her Boob Job And Tummy Tuck
- Oscar-Worthy Actresses! Rosie O'Donnell And Whoopi Goldberg Given ?Lecture’ To Act Like ?Best Friends' On ?The View' PLUS Another Whoopi Slip Of The Tongue ?Pisses Off' ABC Execs
- Alanis Morissette said fame caused her to have PTSD
- Liza Minnelli recovering after surgery
- 'Fight Church:' Does modern Christianity feminize guys?
- Kate Upton Poses In Bed for New Sam Edelman Commercial—Go Behind-the-Scenes!
- Tyler Oakley, Rebecca Black and More Internet Celebs You Need to Know About
- Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka Reenact Lady and the Tramp's Iconic Spaghetti Scene—and It's Adorable!