Susan Boyle Destroys U.S. Chart Records
It's also the biggest debut album by any artist since Snoop Dogg's 'Doggystyle' in 1993.
Her record label, Columbia, said Wednesday that 'Dream' has moved a whopping 3 million copies around the world in its opening week.
Also amazing is the way people purchased the album. Although digital sales have grown for years -- with iTunes being the main beneficiary -- consumers headed back to the record store for Boyle's debut.
Columbia chairman Steve Barnett told the New York Times that only about 39,000 of Ms. Boyle's total in the United States were sold through iTunes. Consumers could also purchase the album on shopping network QVC.
"The reason that this record really did what it did," Mr. Barnett told the Times, "was that people wanted to get it and own it, to feel like they're a part of it."
Before Boyle, the biggest seller of the year was Eminem's 'Relapse.'
It was not, however, a record-breaking week for a decidedly different reality star: Adam Lambert. The 'American Idol' runner-up opened at No. 3 with 198,000 copies sold.
MORE ABOUT Susan Boyle
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Susan Boyle Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Alan Thicke doesn't want to see a 'Growing Pains' remake
- Miranda Lambert takes on Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood'
- Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen have hit a 'rocky point' but still 'in love'
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' Star Amanda Peterson's Cause of Death Revealed
- Extra Scoop: Did Josh Duggar Have a Pregnancy Scare with Another Woman?
- Win It! A Patricia Nash Argos Crossbody Handbag
- Margaret Cho Opens Up About Childhood Sexual Abuse, Bullying: People Said "You Deserve to Be Raped"
- Leona Lewis Shares Her Top Diva Tracks, Find Out What Made the UK Singer's Playlist!
- Inside Josh Duggar's Rehab Stay: Bible Study, Restricted Family Contact, and More