Susan Boyle Destroys U.S. Chart Records
It's also the biggest debut album by any artist since Snoop Dogg's 'Doggystyle' in 1993.
Her record label, Columbia, said Wednesday that 'Dream' has moved a whopping 3 million copies around the world in its opening week.
Also amazing is the way people purchased the album. Although digital sales have grown for years -- with iTunes being the main beneficiary -- consumers headed back to the record store for Boyle's debut.
Columbia chairman Steve Barnett told the New York Times that only about 39,000 of Ms. Boyle's total in the United States were sold through iTunes. Consumers could also purchase the album on shopping network QVC.
"The reason that this record really did what it did," Mr. Barnett told the Times, "was that people wanted to get it and own it, to feel like they're a part of it."
Before Boyle, the biggest seller of the year was Eminem's 'Relapse.'
It was not, however, a record-breaking week for a decidedly different reality star: Adam Lambert. The 'American Idol' runner-up opened at No. 3 with 198,000 copies sold.
MORE ABOUT Susan Boyle
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Susan Boyle Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Stars step out at Met Gala
- 'Django Unchained' actress ordered to apologize to LAPD over profiling allegation
- Red carpet looks at the 2015 Met Gala
- Kim K Stuns in Eye-Popping, See-Through Gown at Met Gala
- Chop, Chop! Katie Holmes Gets Short New ?Do for Met Gala
- Sarah Jessica Parker Hits the Met Gala Red Carpet in Stunning Headdress
- Dancing With the Stars Week 8 Recap: Rumer Willis, Val Chmerkovskiy Get Two Perfect Scores!
- Pizza Man Photobombs Jay Z, Beyonce With Slice on Met Gala 2015 Red Carpet: Funny Photo
- Beyonce, Kim Kardashian Go Without Underwear, Rock Sheer Gowns at Met Gala 2015: Who Wore the Nearly Naked Look Better?