Susan Boyle Destroys U.S. Chart Records
It's also the biggest debut album by any artist since Snoop Dogg's 'Doggystyle' in 1993.
Her record label, Columbia, said Wednesday that 'Dream' has moved a whopping 3 million copies around the world in its opening week.
Also amazing is the way people purchased the album. Although digital sales have grown for years -- with iTunes being the main beneficiary -- consumers headed back to the record store for Boyle's debut.
Columbia chairman Steve Barnett told the New York Times that only about 39,000 of Ms. Boyle's total in the United States were sold through iTunes. Consumers could also purchase the album on shopping network QVC.
"The reason that this record really did what it did," Mr. Barnett told the Times, "was that people wanted to get it and own it, to feel like they're a part of it."
Before Boyle, the biggest seller of the year was Eminem's 'Relapse.'
It was not, however, a record-breaking week for a decidedly different reality star: Adam Lambert. The 'American Idol' runner-up opened at No. 3 with 198,000 copies sold.
MORE ABOUT Susan Boyle
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Susan Boyle Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tracy Morgan 'can't believe' Walmart blaming him in deadly traffic accident
- Unrelated celebrity twins
- Anne Hathaway: Fame messed me up
- ?Sons of Anarchy' star Theo Rossi names another show that made him cry
- That ?Tetris' movie you always wanted is finally happening
- New Banksy artwork appears in English seaside town
- Jennifer Lopez and Leah Remini Recall Their Scary Car Accident
- Find Out How to Date ?Walking Dead' Star Lauren Cohan
- Anti-Aging Tips for Twenty-Somethings! What You Should Start Doing Today