'Coronation Street' Veteran Maggie Jones Dies at 75
Maggie Jones, the British actress who played the sharp-tongued Blanche Hunt on 'Coronation Street', has died at the age of 75.
Jones died in her sleep on Wednesday, according to the maker of the long-running British soap. She had been recovering from an operation she had in October.
Jones was a favourite among 'Coronation Street' fans for her withering one-liners and meddlesome ways as the mother of Deirdre and mother-in-law of Ken Barlow, played by Anne Kirkbride and William Roache.
Jones' first appearance in 'Coronation Street' was a bit part in 1961, but she created the character of Blanche Hunt in 1974.
She was a regular member of the cast until 1976, then returned again in 1999, remaining with the show until October of this year.
Fellow 'Corrie' actor Ken Roache, who played her son-in-law Ken Barlow, paid homage to her by adding:
'I don't think Maggie ever realized how much she was loved - not only by everyone on the show but by the millions of Blanche fans out there. She will be greatly missed."
He also added that she was a "brilliant actress" and a "tower of strength...mentally strong as an ox."
Ray Fisher, Time Life Pictures / Getty Images
Eileen Darby, Time Life Pictures / Getty Images
Mathew Imaging / WireImage
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Susan Sterner, AP
Paul Natkin, WireImage
Jim Smeal, WireImage
Barry King, WireImage
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Eminem's New "Guts Over Fear" Music Video Is a Modern Day Cinderella Story: Watch Here
- Candace Cameron Bure: Dave Coulier, AKA Full House's Uncle Joey Introduced Me To My Husband
- Kristin Cavallari Forces Jay Cutler to Take a Selfie After the Chicago Bears Win: Cute Pictures!
- Porsha Williams ?Amused' By Cynthia Bailey's Burn: ?She's Completely Single' And Billionaire Boyfriend Story Was Just A ?Nasty Rumor,' Source Says
- Robin Thicke reportedly dating 19-year-old model
- Model turned MMA fighter Paige VanZant never saw career coming
- 'Star Wars' trailer in nine theaters this weekend