'New Moon' Theater Recording Lands Woman in Jail
Tumpach says she was recording her sister's 29th birthday party, which took place at the theater - much of the tape features her relatives singing "Happy Birthday." A few minutes of the feature film were captured, however, and the young woman was arrested when a theater employee noticed Tumpach recording.
The manager decided to press charges, but Tumpach says, "It was a big thing over nothing. We were just messing around. Everyone is so surprised it got this far."
Officers who examined Tumpach's camera found she had taped "two very short segments" of the movie - no more than four minutes total, Cmdr. Frank Siciliano said.
"You can hear me talking the whole time," Tumpach said. "It was never my intention to record the movie."
Tumpach was taken to bond court on Monday, where a Cook County judge ordered her released on a personal recognizance bond that didn't require her to post monetary bail.
Tumpach will still have to face the felony charge of criminal use of a motion picture exhibition, but as EW points out, the real crime here isn't punishable by the justice system: annoying theatergoers with a powered-up camera in a dark theater.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Furious 7' box office champ for fourth straight weekend
- 'Good Fellas' actors spill secrets at 25th anniversary screening
- Kim's ex, Kris Humphries says sorry for Bruce Jenner tweet
- Daytime Emmys: Matt Lauer "Strips" Down, Says He'll Donate $1,000 to Charity for Each Winner Who Thanks Him
- Daytime Emmy Awards: The Winners List (Updating Live)
- Adam Sandler's 'Ridiculous Six' Co-Star Defends Film Amid Controversy: It "Isn't 'Dances With Wolves' "
- Weekend Box Office: 'Furious 7' Cruises to Top Spot
- Will One of These Five Actors Will Be the Next Spider-Man?
- The Top 10 Cheesiest Movie Quotes of All Time