Reality Stars Charged For Eating a Rat During Filming
The maximum penalty for these charges is three years in prison.
In a statement to The Associated Press, New South Wales state police said Sunday that two men, aged 33 and 30, were charged with animal cruelty for acts in connection to the program but did not give names or other details. They have been asked to appear in court to face the charge on Feb. 3.
The performers and ITV, the network that produces the show, did not immediately respond to media inquiries about the incident.
"The killing of a rat for a performance is not acceptable. The concern is this was done purely for the cameras," David O'Shannessy from the New South Wales RSPCA told the British Broadcasting Corp.
He said producers were normally required to have animal welfare officers on set when animals were used during filming, but in this case it did not take place.
'I'm a Celebrity' strands C-list celebrities in the Australian Outback, subjects them to a series of icky trials involving spiders and snakes, and allows the public to vote them off the show one by one.
Lester Cohen, WireImage
George Napolitano, FilmMagic
Michael Caulfield, WireImage
Gustavo Caballero, Getty Images
Noel Vasquez, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Teen Mom OG Recap: First Days of School, Catelynn Lowell's Big Baby Gender Reveal
- Vanessa Hudgens: I Gave "Death Stares" to Then-Boyfriend Zac Efron's Adoring Fans
- Claire Danes Reveals Her Super Weird Cell Phone Habits With David Beckham, Bob Odenkirk
- Trevor Noah's tweets called 'anti-Semitic,' 'racist,' 'sexist'
- Vanessa Hudgens on Zac Efron, credits new beau with bringing her back to faith
- Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson heat things up off 'DWTS' set