Reality Stars Charged For Eating a Rat During Filming
The maximum penalty for these charges is three years in prison.
In a statement to The Associated Press, New South Wales state police said Sunday that two men, aged 33 and 30, were charged with animal cruelty for acts in connection to the program but did not give names or other details. They have been asked to appear in court to face the charge on Feb. 3.
The performers and ITV, the network that produces the show, did not immediately respond to media inquiries about the incident.
"The killing of a rat for a performance is not acceptable. The concern is this was done purely for the cameras," David O'Shannessy from the New South Wales RSPCA told the British Broadcasting Corp.
He said producers were normally required to have animal welfare officers on set when animals were used during filming, but in this case it did not take place.
'I'm a Celebrity' strands C-list celebrities in the Australian Outback, subjects them to a series of icky trials involving spiders and snakes, and allows the public to vote them off the show one by one.
Lester Cohen, WireImage
George Napolitano, FilmMagic
Michael Caulfield, WireImage
Gustavo Caballero, Getty Images
Noel Vasquez, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Big Sean's Top Classic Rap Tracks
- Ice T and Coco Austin Face Off in Newly Pregnant Game: Watch!
- Amber Rose on Her Feud With the Kardashians: "It Escalated," "Shouldn't Have Gone That Far"
- Is Hilary Swank dating 'Bachelorette' contestant Kasey Stewart?
- 'Office' star Creed Bratton will eat his dog if you don't see his show
- BatDad: Internet sensation says $10 he spent on mask best money he ever spent