Reality Stars Charged For Eating a Rat During Filming
The maximum penalty for these charges is three years in prison.
In a statement to The Associated Press, New South Wales state police said Sunday that two men, aged 33 and 30, were charged with animal cruelty for acts in connection to the program but did not give names or other details. They have been asked to appear in court to face the charge on Feb. 3.
The performers and ITV, the network that produces the show, did not immediately respond to media inquiries about the incident.
"The killing of a rat for a performance is not acceptable. The concern is this was done purely for the cameras," David O'Shannessy from the New South Wales RSPCA told the British Broadcasting Corp.
He said producers were normally required to have animal welfare officers on set when animals were used during filming, but in this case it did not take place.
'I'm a Celebrity' strands C-list celebrities in the Australian Outback, subjects them to a series of icky trials involving spiders and snakes, and allows the public to vote them off the show one by one.
Lester Cohen, WireImage
George Napolitano, FilmMagic
Michael Caulfield, WireImage
Gustavo Caballero, Getty Images
Noel Vasquez, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Senator Rand Paul Cuts His Own Hair: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Illinois Couple Welcomes 100th Grandchild: "Could Start Our Own Town!"
- Kim Kardashian Goes Topless for Vogue Brazil Shoot: See the Newest Photo!
- '19 Kids and Counting' scandal: Walgreens, Payless and Choice Hotels pull ads
- Courtney Stodden's mom resigns as manager, cites 'creative differences'
- Judge delays hearing after Suge Knight refuses to leave jail cell
- Bono Says U2 ''Lost a Family Member'' After Tour Manager Is Found Dead in Hotel Room
- Jenny Lewis' "She's Not Me" Music Video Pokes Fun at Her Child Star Past—Watch Now!
- Soccer Fans Rejoice as FIFA Officials Arrested on Suspicion of Corruption in "The World Cup of Fraud"