Joely Richardson Breaks Silence on Death of Natasha
'Nip/Tuck' actress Joely Richardson is speaking out for the first time about coping with the loss of her big sister Natasha, who died eight months ago following a skiing accident. She was 45. The Richardson sisters didn't have that much in common, but in the end were "enmeshed in each other."
"I hadn't lived a day in my life without her," she told Tatler magazine this week (via the Daily Mail), "You worry about your children and your elders, but I never imagined such a thing as this. Tash was a given to me."
Natasha Richardson suffered a head injury March 16 while skiing in Canada after falling during a ski lesson. Her death two days later was described by doctors as due to "epidural hematoma due to blunt impact to the head." She is survived by husband Liam Neeson and their two sons.
"The shock shatters you on a cellular level," Joely, 44, recalls of learning of her sister's death, "it takes time for the pieces to come back together."
The day after Natasha's funeral, Joely went back to work on the set of a BBC production of 'The Day of the Triffids.' Her grief had a great impact on her performance, she says.
"A strange autopilot kicks in; your psyche puts your work day into a different compartment from your private life. I'm not kidding -- my first shot back on set was reacting to someone dying."
Asked how she is coming to terms with her sister's death, Richardson replied: "I don't look at happiness as being a great goal. A sense of peace, definitely, but it's like the seasons. I think we're meant to have a spring, summer, autumn and winter. I'm not looking for a perpetual summer because that would be a flat line."
Richardson said: "I cannot imagine that there will ever be a day when I don't think of Tasha."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bollywood actress sentenced to 26 years in jail for blasphemy in Pakistan
- FOX411's pic of the day
- '19 Kids & Counting's' cousin Amy Duggar reaches for Nashville dreams
- Scott Sternberg Is Giving His Parents a Banana-Shaped Bong For the Holidays
- Throwback Thursday: In 1985, 'Golden Girls' Heated Up the Small Screen
- Bill Cosby Steps Down From UMass-Amherst Fundraising Campaign Amid Rape Allegations
- ?Star Wars' trailer wishlist: VII things we hope to see
- PopWatch Confessional: What are you thankful for this year?
- 33 Things on TV to Be Thankful for This Thanksgiving
- Worst Holiday Episodes Ever
- Bennett Miller, 'Foxcatcher' Director, on His Inspiration and Casting Channing Tatum