Pee-wee Is 'Worn Out,' But Ready to Dazzle With Stage Show
The "if" part of that equation is the reason why media were summoned for a sit-down with the star, even though over 10,000 tickets have already been sold. The economy, you know ... and Reubens, who was unfairly railroaded by the legal system for about a decade, probably has some financial and image-focused catching up to do.
But six days per week of eight-hour, high-intensity rehearsals clearly have taken a toll on the star.
Asked if he still has the stamina to play a megawatt character with a persona at least three decades younger than his actual age, Reubens confesses, "I don't know the answer to that quite yet.
"The set is very large," he says. "The other day in the middle of rehearsal I thought -- and I think I even said this out loud -- 'I wish this Playhouse was a little smaller!' Because there's a lot of running back and forth, so it seems kinetic and energetic while you're watching it. But it's a lot of work. I have to say, I've been very, very worn out, tired from doing it all."
Then the Pee-wee side takes over. "But we will have a nurse standing by!"
In the show, Pee-wee dreams that one day he can fly. The play follows his quest to see this lifelong wish fulfilled.
Tickets are available by calling 800-745-3000 or at www.ticketmaster.com
Joe Kohen, Getty Images
Pacific Coast News
Noah Graham, Getty Images
James Devaney, WireImage
Kristian Dowling, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- UC Berkeley overrides student group, re-invites Bill Maher to speak
- Stars' sneaky skin-showing tricks
- Jennifer Lopez: I felt 'abused' in past relationships
- 'Vampire Diaries': Chris Wood on Justifying Kai's Killer Acts and Outplaying Damon
- AFM: Naomi Watts, Elle Fanning, Susan Sarandon Board 'Three Generations' (Exclusive)
- Watch a Paranoid Jim Carrey Test David Letterman for Ebola
- Best of Late Night TV: Jake Gyllenhaal's Water War and Jim Carrey's Matthew McConaughey Impression (VIDEO)
- 22 Amazingly Improvised Movie-Inspired Halloween Costumes
- The 30 Best Movies of 2014 (So Far)