Everything to Know About... Michelle Duggar, '18 Kids and Counting,' Baby 19
By Sam Brand Posted Dec 11th 2009 03:15PM
Michelle Duggar is a big deal right now. Many of you think it's irresponsible to have 19 kids. Some of you think she's one of the best and most impressive moms on the planet. We won't judge, but we'll give you the info to do so yourself. We've got everything you need to know about the 19-time mama, her emergency C-section, her TLC show and her very special family.
Michelle Duggar – Michelle Duggar is a pretty regular gal. The 43-year-old lives in average American town Tontitown, Arkansas. She's married to average American man James "Jim Bob" Robert Duggar. She is an average stay at home mother. And the Duggar's have 19 kids and their own show on TLC. On second thought, Michelle isn't very average at all.
Emergency C-Section – Caesarean sections aren't a big deal anymore. There's a good chance you were brought into the world via this age-old method of assisted childbirth. The World Health Organization estimates that 10-15% of all births in developed countries are delivered this way. Michelle Duggar has undergone at least 3 C-sections herself, the latest occurring Thursday night. The birth didn't exactly happen as planned, as Duggar's 19th child wasn't due until March. But when a gallstone began causing contractions earlier this week, Michelle was airlifted to an Arkansas hospital and the childbirth was fast-tracked.
19th Child – Josy Brooklyn is currently in stable condition at the neonatal intensive care unit at the University of Arkansas, according to TLC. The 9th girl in the Duggar stable, Josy was born at 25 weeks and weighed only 1 lb., 6 oz. According to ABC, only 6% of babies are born so early, and of those infants, 82% are expected to survive.
Duggar Family – Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar have been married for 25 years. Devout baptists, they've chosen "to allow God to determine the number of children they have." God has determined 19, so far, including two sets of twins, all of whose names begin with the letter "J." In October, eldest son Josh welcomed a daughter into the world, making Jim Bob and Michelle grandparents. So how do they support all those kids? Well, Jim Bob used to be a politician, having served in the Arkansas House of Representatives for a few years in the early aughts. But the family now makes money through property investment and management (and through television, but they don't like to mention that). And Jim Bob and Michelle frequently remind the tax paying public that they have never accepted money from the government of any kind. That means no public school for the Duggar kids. All 19 of them were or are currently home schooled.
'18 Kids and Counting' – TLC has been carrying '18 Kids and Counting' since the first episode of season 1 aired in September 2008. Season 2 premiered in January 2009, and already Season 3 is midway though its run, with the finale planned for January 31. But the Duggars were first televised in the Discovery Health special '14 Children and Pregnant Again!' It's unclear when baby Josy will be introduced to the viewing public, but it appears there's a name change in store for the show.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Leonardo DiCaprio Rocks Full Beard, Man Bun as he Receives Clinton Global Citizen Award for Environmental Campaigning
- Emma Watson Makes Impassioned Speech on Feminism and Gender Equality at U.N. Headquarters, Says Feminism isn't "Anti-Men or Unattractive"
- Real Housewives of New Jersey Recap: Teresa Giudice Prepares to Downsize
- ?RHONY' Star Sonja Morgan In Desperate Fight To Keep Her Home In Bankruptcy Battle
- Stay Away! Britney Spears’ Las Vegas Staff Is On ?High Alert' For Sightings Of Her ?Idiot' Ex
- Sloppy Seconds! Joe Jonas Hooks Up With His Brother Nick Jonas’ Ex-Girlfriend, Gigi Hadid ? Brotherly Love?
- 'Big Bang Theory's' Johnny Galecki talks changes, conflicts and wedding plans
- Hilary Duff says new album will reflect Texas roots
- Vince Neil says no more country music for Motley Crue
- Leonardo DiCaprio Raps "Scenario"—Watch Now!
- The Good Wife Bosses Talk Shocking Status Change, Alicia and Kalinda's Friendship and More Season 6 Scoop
- Once Upon a Time's Frozen Premiere: Anna's Insane Voice, Regina's Awesome Twist and Everything You Need to Know!