The Evolution of Alec Baldwin's Sexiness
By Jo Piazza Posted Dec 14th 2009 09:11AM
In the new romantic comedy for the aged, "It's Complicated," Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin become embroiled in an AARP-style love triangle. Martha Stewart recently weighed in on what it was like to see the 51-year old Baldwin getting jiggy on the screen.
"He's fat and he's naked," Stewart said with a look of shock and even a little disgust on her face. That made us wonder about Alec Baldwin's sex status symbol. Was he hotter as the dashing mancandy to Kim Basinger in the days of slim Alec in "The Hunt For Red October," or is he sexier now, with some age, some paunch and a devilishly biting wit?
It's a tough call, so we asked our celebrity experts whether they prefer the young Baldwin to today's riper version.
Hamptons magazine thinks Baldwin is way sexier these days, at least according to the cover of their holiday issue, featuring the elder statesman of primetime comedy.
"He's a comic genius, brilliantly funny. You almost wonder, is it OK that this makes me laugh this much?" says Gotham and Hamptons editor in chief Samantha Yanks. "As with any comedic performance, it's all in the delivery, and as '30 Rock's' Jack Donaghy, the man is hilarious. He's 51 and has never looked more handsome. As you can see for some, there is an upside to aging."
Wit and wisdom can lend a lot to sex appeal.
"Well if you prefer smart ass hotness, ala me, then older Alec is the best option here," says PopWrap's Ryan Brockington. "He is witty, on-point and confident in his swagger - that, my friends, is hotness."
But Brockington does give props to sexy younger Alec. The problem is that youthful sexiness is fleeting and a real man is a man who has sexy middle-aged staying power.
"Younger Alec Baldwin, when he was basically the Zeus of the Baldwin brother hills, was the most smoldering and seductive squinty-eyed man entrée in town. Then came Richard Gere, who quickly brushed Alec and his coif under the seductive rug."
Not everyone is turned on by Alec 2.0.
Cooper Lwarence, author of 'The Cult of Celebrity,' says she finds today's version almost stomach turning.
"I don't think there's any argument, its like comparing old Elvis to younger Elvis. Hands down younger Alec Baldwin is hotter but not only because he's younger, but also because he's less angry, more vulnerable and more hopeful ... OK and way hotter too!" Lawrence says. "I just look at old Alec and think about him yelling at his daughter and calling her 'a pig'. Younger Alec I think of in 'Hunt For Red October' ... purrrrrrr."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Johnny Depp attends the 'Johnny Depp Tribute' during the 6th Annual Bahamas International Film Festival on December 13th in Nassau, Bahamas.
Gustavo Caballero, Getty Images
Gustavo Caballero, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?
- Jimmy Fallon Unleashes Epic 'Game of Thrones' Parody (Video)
- Cannes: Hollywood Gives Back at Star-Filled AmfAR Gala (Column)
- Jennifer Hudson in Negotiations to Judge 'American Idol'
- Bluth Binge! EW's giant recap of Netflix's 15 new ?Arrested Development' episodes
- Memorial Day weekend TV marathons: An A to Z guide
- ?Fast & Furious 6?: That ending! THAT ENDING! (SPOILERS)
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space
- Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report