Fashion That Defined The Decade - 2000s
By PopEater Staff Posted Dec 15th 2009 12:00PM
Celebrity fashion is constantly changing. Over this decade, we've seen wild women turn into stunning starlets and girls-next-door turn to rock-n-roll hipsters. But what defining trend will encompass the past ten years? The '60s had go-go boots, bell bottom jeans and psychedelic prints, while satin polyester and hot pants defined the disco era of the late '70s. What fashion will we remember the '00s for? PopEater breaks down the top five trends of the decade and want you to decide which one will reign supreme.
Mixing the fringe movements of punk and grunge, hipsters have created a style based on defying style norms. Its key staple is the skinny jean. Yes, both men and women have been rocking the trend. If you've ever asked yourself, "How do they fit in such tiny pants?" you have witnessed the hipster trend.
Celebrity Trendsetters: Zooey Deschanel, Sam Ronson, Michelle Williams, Ashlee Simpson
2. Juicy Couture Tracksuits & UGG Boots
According to Wikipedia, Madonna is credited with turning the Juicy Couture velour tracksuit into a trend and turned the company into an instant success. The comfortable tracksuit combined chic, expensive style with comfort. It seemed harmless enough until words started appearing on the butts. And then it seemed like a day later, people were wearing the suits with UGG boots. A perfect fashion hit and miss?
Celebrity Trendsetters: The Kardashians, Pam Anderson, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Kate Hudson, Jessica Simpson
From what we can remember, The Olsen twins started the Bohemian Chic trend. The free-spirited, Hippie inspired style includes its well-known staples: large sunglasses, flowing skirts, boots and loose jumpers. They embarked on the trend in the early 2000s, and it has stayed strong throughout the decade.
Celebrity Trendsetters: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Mischa Barton, Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan
4. Pants Free Style
Perhaps this is just a recent revelation, but it seems like stars can't keep their pants on. While it's been a slow growing trend, Lady Gaga cemented this trend after she was photographed strutting around London shopping in only a nude body suit. And now with Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Katy Perry all dancing around on stage sans pants, it's a crazy trend that leaves our knickers a little cold. We totally understand it gets hot on stage, but really?
Celebrity Trendsetters: Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Beyonce
5. Bare That Midriff
Skin is in... but only is small doses. Leaving little to the imagination, pop stars have been baring it all in short tops and even shorter Daisy Duke shorts. This decade, flaunting one's midriff was all the rage (and usually quickly followed with an outrageous belly ring.) Whether you had six-pack abs or not, everyone let it all hang out. It seemed okay until our younger siblings and cousins (in 4th or 5th grade) started running around in tube tops mimicking Britney Spears' and Christina Aguilera's every move.
Celebrity Trendsetters: Britney Spears, Brooke Hogan, Kat Von D, Gwen Stefani, Christina Aguilera
Fashion Trends of the Decade
Celebrity fashion is constantly changing, but what defining trend will encompass the past ten years? See the top 5 trends of the decade. >>
Chris Polk, FilmMagic
Chris Polk, FilmMagic
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Style -
- Gut Reactions -
- Movie News -
- Music News -
- TV News -
- Exclusives -
- Britney Spears -
- Beyonce Knowles -
- Ashley Olsen -
- Ashley Tisdale -
- Ashlee Simpson -
- Kim Kardashian -
- Christina Aguilera
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Bill Cosby controversy: A decade in the making
- Robin Williams' son remembers his dad and Christopher Reeve's friendship
- Cameron Diaz hosts ?Saturday Night Live' this weekend ? talk about it here!
- You can now buy the original ?Wizard of Oz' Cowardly Lion costume ? if you're a millionaire
- This Week on Stage: Hugh Jackman, Glenn Close and ?Side Show' storm Broadway's busiest fall week
- Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin Tease 'The Flash' and 'Arrow' Crossover Episodes
- PDA Alert! Robert Pattinson Gets Cheeky with Girlfriend FKA twigs
- Look Out J.Lo and Kim K! Here Comes Beyonc
- Kourtney Kardashian Hints at Scott Disick Relationship Trouble With New Instagram
- Kendra Wilkinson Reveals Why She Took Hank Baskett Back: Read the Couple's Joint Interview!
- Jessica, Ashlee Simpson's Children Maxwell, Ace, and Bronx Steal the Show at Belk Fashion Event: Family Photos