New Kids on the Block's Danny Wood Doesn't Like New Christmas Music
By Denise Warner Posted Dec 15th 2009 11:39AM
New Kids on the Block's Danny Wood recently released a CD in honor of his mother Betty Wood, who died of breast cancer, called 'Stronger: Remember Betty.' All proceeds from sales of the album go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
The singer talked to us about creating it, and also how he really feels about Christmas music.
"I like Christmas music like Nat King Cole and all the classic ones, but the new Christmas music is not the best," he tells PopEater. Read More Inside
How is everything?
Things couldn't be better, Things are really great. I think the album for the [Susan G.] Komen Foundation is selling really good. Probably next year, I'll be writing them a nice check.
How did the album come about?
While the New Kids were on tour and never really thought I would be putting a record out or anything like that, I was just writing for myself. What happened was I started accumulating songs and I figured why don't I do something for charity because I already have been raising money for the Komen foundation. We had been selling tank tops at our shows and we've raised close to a half a million dollars for them and I just wanted to keep it going. I had like six or seven songs, I just figured I'd finish it and make it for breast cancer.
What's coming up for you?
Next year, probably doing some stuff with New Kids, hopefully a tour. This record will kind of go through Christmas and into next year. You know, I've already started writing other stuff, but I never really have a plan on what I'm going to do next. We'll just see what happens.
Was it fun to get back with the New Kids after so long?
It was amazing, it was completely unexpected. I had no expectations. When you're away for 15 years, coming from a pop group like that, you don't really expect much. Well, I didn't. For it to turn out the way it did, we did over 150 shows, it was beyond anything I'd ever expected. And I got to share it with my kids. My kids were on tour with me a lot. That was a big bonus.
Did they have fun?
They love it. They ask me every day, 'What are you doing next year? What's going on?'
Will you take them again?
Oh yeah, I'll include them as much as I can without them missing any school.
Is it easier that way to balance your family life with your career?
When we first got back together, we did a lot of the rehearsing in L.A. and I live in Miami. So I was away from my family a lot. But in the end it kind of worked out because we did a summer tour and my daughters, who are 7 and 11 years old, were with me like the last three weeks of the tour straight. It was a blast.
Any plans for the holidays?
The New Kids, we're doing a fundraiser for Toys for Tots on Dec. 20. So that's a big deal, we're going to sing some Christmas songs and try to raise money so the kids up in Boston have toys.
What's your favorite Christmas song to sing?
None of them. I have bad experiences. We did a Christmas album under the pressure of our record company the first time around. It was not fun. I like Christmas music like Nat King Cole and all the classic ones, but the new Christmas music is not the best.
It can come out cheesy and silly.
Yeah, that's kind of what we did. That is what we did.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law attend the world premiere of 'Sherlock Holmes' in London, England.
Dave Hogan, Getty Images
Dave Hogan, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bob Dylan's Newport guitar sells in NY for $965,000
- 'Family Guy's' Brian coming back in upcoming episode?
- Christian music duo spreads God's message in debut album
- Paris Hilton slams fake Nelson Mandela tweet: ?Get a life and stop talking about mine'
- ?Grey's Anatomy's' Meredith Grey vs. ?Scandal's' Olivia Pope: Battle of Shondaland's worst parents ? POLL
- ?Spring Awakening': Lea Michele, Jonathan Groff, and original cast reunite ? EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- Paul Walker's Memorial Service: All the Details
- 'Sound of Music Live'! Carrie Underwood Can Sing, But Can She Act?
- Paris Hilton Denies Offensive Nelson Mandela Tweet: 'Stop Lying About Me'
- Keri Russell, Husband Shane Deary Step Out Together Post-Split With Kids River, 6, Willa, 23 months: Pictures
- Kate Middleton Bonds With Sick Children, Sings Nursery Rhymes During Hospice Visit: Pictures
- Kirstie Alley Slams Leah Remini as a "Bigot" After Anti-Scientology Remarks