Conan O'Brien Out, Jerry Seinfeld In?
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 17th 2009 09:00AM
Seinfeld To Replace Conan?
With Conan O'Brien ratings slipping faster than Tiger Woods' endorsement appeal, TV executives are telling me that informal discussions have started to occur within 30 Rock as to who would be the home-run replacement for the hysterical but sagging redhead. The name on everyone's wish list? Jerry Seinfeld.
"NBC just can't carry on like this. 'The Tonight Show' has lost 52 percent of its viewership in just one year. The November ratings will be the show's lowest in 15 years. They would be idiots to not be having the replacement conversation," a source tells me.
However, getting Seinfeld -- who had a long, successful relationship with NBC in the '90s and who, ironically, agreed to be the first guest when NBC moved Leno to 10 p.m. -- is a long shot and Conan's people are denying it entirely. NBC spokesperson Drew Shane responded: "Completely false. There are no conversations happening. Conan is the host of the 'Tonight Show.'"
Way to stand by your man! We love Conan and want him to succeed no matter what timeslot he's on.
John Mayer's Crush on Kate Hudson
The newly-single Kate Hudson needs to listen very carefully to me on this one: Take off your tap shoes, put on your sneakers and run for the hills, because John Mayer is on your tail!
John has been telling friends that Goldie's girl is his new celebrity crush. "He can't help himself," whispers a friend. "He's telling Ellen he's 'freaked out about dating again' while lusting after Kate."
And even though this Casanova named Mr. Mayer has won over some of Hollywood's most beautiful ladies with the gentle strumming of his guitar and goodness knows what else, I'm told Miss Hudson is happy to be single again with no interest in following in the footsteps of Jessica Simpson and oh so many others!
Barack Obama Must Read PopEater
What a lovely surprise I got from my dear old postman this morning: A holiday card from the President of The United States. Bite me, Katie Couric! The return address in the top left hand corner reads: "The White House Washington, DC 20500 (and I thought 90210 was the best zip code!)." The card itself is eggshell with a dark red border reading "Season's Greetings 2009" on the front. Inside it says, "May your family have a joyous holiday season and a new year blessed with hope and happiness" -- signed Barack Obama and Michelle Obama (his signature is so messy I'm not totally convinced it's not from Bo the dog). Either way, Mr. President, we're so glad to know you're Team PopEater -- we'd love to chat with you and the kids!
John McCain, I'm waiting for your card. My mantle has room for both parties!
Got a tip for Rob? Email him at NaughtyNiceRob@aol.com
Follow Rob on FaceBook: www.hs.facebook.com/rshuter
Who's Rob Shuter? Read His Bio
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Movie News -
- Music News -
- TV News -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Toys 'R' Us pulling 'Breaking Bad' dolls from stores, website
- 'Django' actress Daniele Watts charged with lewd conduct
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Live-action ?Static Shock,' ?Mortal Kombat' unveiled as part of WB digital slate
- What is going on at Marvel? A PopWatch conspiracy theory
- Someone made a real hoverboard, so you should maybe get excited a little bit
- What Are Kerry Washington's Makeup Must-Haves?
- The Palin Family Brawl in Alaska: Listen to Bristol Describe Her Beatdown!
- Kris Jenner Responds to Rumors She Was on a Date with a Mystery Man
- Kate Middleton Makes First Appearance Since Suffering From Morning Sickness; Blake Lively Shows Off Baby Bump and Cleavage: Top 5 Stories
- Uma Thurman's 16-Year-Old Daughter Maya Looks Almost Identical to Her -- See the Mini-Me Picture!
- A Man in Chicago Told President Obama to Not Flirt With His Fiancee and It Was Amazing -- Watch Here