Actress Brittany Murphy Dies at 32
The 911 call reporting the incident was made from the home of Simon Monjack, whom Murphy married in 2007. RadarOnline is reporting that Monjack himself made the phone call, and that the Los Angeles Coroner's office is launching an investigation into Murphy's death. The police "could not say whether it would point to any criminal conduct," Los Angeles Times sources say.
According to TMZ, Murphy's mom found the actress in the shower and paramedics administered CPR at the home and on the way to the hospital. Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Devon Gale tells the Associated Press that the call was made at 8 a.m. on Sunday, and that one person was transported to a hospital.
Murphy's publicist, Nicole Perna, released a statement on Sunday saying: "In this time of sadness, the family thanks you for your love and support. It is their wish that you respect their privacy."
Murphy made her big splash in Hollywood in 1995's 'Clueless,' in which she played the ditzy character Tai. She went on to co-star in popular films like 'Girl, Interrupted' with Angelina Jolie and '8 Mile,' where she played Eminem's love interest. She was also the voice of Luanne Platter for more than 230 episodes of the popular Fox cartoon sitcom 'King of the Hill.'
Aside from acting, Murphy also dabbled in music occasionally. In 2006, she scored a hit by pairing up with DJ Paul Oakenfold on the song 'Faster Kill Pussycat,' which became a club staple. She also covered two songs -- including Queen's 'Somebody to Love' -- in the animated movie 'Happy Feet.'
Ashton Kutcher, who shared the screen with Murphy in 2003's 'Just Married' and also dated her, spoke out on his Twitter to remember his friend. "See you on the other side kid ... 2day the world lost a little piece of sunshine. My deepest condolences go out 2 Brittany's family, her husband, & her amazing mother Sharon," Kutcher wrote. See More Stars Tweeting About Murphy >>>
Publicist Ashley Berg, a partner at LFB Media Group who saw Murphy just two weeks ago at an event to raise money for disabled children, tells PopEater's Rob Shuter that the actress "was happy and totally upbeat at the event."
According to the Associated Press, detectives and coroner's officials were at Murphy and Monjack's home Sunday afternoon but did not talk to reporters.
Neighbor Clare Staples told the AP said she saw firefighters working to resuscitate the actress Sunday morning. She said Murphy was on a stretcher and "looked as though she was dead at the scene."
Murphy's husband, wearing pajama bottoms and no shoes, appeared "dazed" as firefighters tried to save her, Staples said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Paul Walker and Roger Rodas car company closing after deaths
- Casey Kasem's wife and one of his daughters settle lawsuit over Kasem's care
- Harry Potter going to be on stage
- Jimmy Fallon, Justin Timberlake on 'SNL': 5 Things to Watch For
- TV Ratings: CBS' 'I Love Lucy' Christmas Special Leads Friday
- Ex-BBC Sportscaster David Coleman Dies at 87
- ?Silent Night, Deadly Night': 20 thoughts on the best-worst holiday movie of all time
- ?The Voice' winner Tessanne Chin sings us a takeout menu ? VIDEO
- From ?Scandal' to ?The Good Wife': EW's TV mid-season finale awards
- 'Transcendence' Teaser Trailer: Johnny Depp Is on a Controversial Quest (VIDEO)
- The Latest 'Grand Budapest Hotel' Trailer Introduces Its Quirky Cast (VIDEO)
- This 'It's a Wonderful Life' & 'Wolf of Wall Street' Mashup Is Genius (VIDEO)