Kreesha Turner Dishes on Dust, Gravity and Delerium
By Jessica de Melo Posted Dec 22nd 2009 04:30PM
Turner recently collaborated with industrial alt-pop duo Delerium on 'Dust in Gravity,' which is a marked departure from the soulful flavour of her previous work.
"They sought me out and asked if they could have my vocals on one of their songs, and how could I say no?" an enthusiastic Turner tells PopEater. "I've always been a fan...and knowing that they're Canadian makes it all the better."
'Dust in Gravity' is the first single in four years for Vancouver's Delerium, whose best-known single to date, 'Silence,' featured Sarah McLachlan's ethereal vocals against the duo's trademark trance-pop sound.
Turner's voice lends a contemporary, urban feel this time around, and the single may throw longtime fans in both camps for a bit of a loop.
"I'm quite curious as to how they'll receive it," she says. "I know that to a Delerium fan it's a bit more poppy, even though to my fans it's less [so]. Either they're going to love it or [not].
"We're definitely crossing our style boundaries and borders," Turner continues, "But hopefully we've found a middle line that both our fans will enjoy."
Turner is a self-professed "optimist" who says she felt a deeper connection to the track, which explores the "harsher reality that a lot of people live: being in a situation or job that they don't like."
"We all feel [down] at some point in time. I can definitely relate to that," she says. "And being the optimistic person that I am, I've gotta share that with others and let them know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel."
The theme of redemption is explored in the video, which depicts homelessness, loneliness and prostitution, but ultimately drifts into "an alternate universe of stars and lights." It premiered on Much Music in early December and was shot in Hamilton, Ont. over 14 hours. "It wasn't too bad," Turner laughs. "I've done worse."
The singer says she's most excited about her "'goddess scenes' behind the fence" -- they were her favourites visually -- but the cold weather posed a challenge. When shooting the final scene, "it was minus 30 outside and I had a fan on me," she says. "I was wearing a little dress and freezing to death!"
Recently nominated for two Juno awards -- for new artist and pop album of the year -- Turner says she would definitely work with Delerium again, but would love to make music with the likes of will.i.am, Akon and particularly David Guetta, whom she thinks would be "an amazing person to collaborate with."
She's currently in studio working on her sophomore record, the follow-up to 2008's 'Passion.' "I definitely liked the vibe we accomplished on this song," she says. "So much that it'll probably influence the direction of my next album."
A dancefloor-ready version of 'Dust in Gravity' will be featured on Delerium's upcoming remix collection, due out in March. They're also working on a studio follow-up to 2006's 'Nuages Du Monde,' though the title and release date have yet to be confirmed.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Beyonce releases surprise new album on iTunes
- Records: Jane Fonda's charity foundation hasn't made donation in 5 years
- Maxim names annual Hometown Hottie: And the winner is...
- ?Reign' react: What's love got to do with it?
- ?The Sing-Off' React: A number one proposal
- ?Scandal' behind the scenes: Three men and an Emmy ? VIDEO
- Extra Scoop: Susan Sarandon Admits to Attending 'Almost All' Award Shows Stoned
- Gossip Girl: Kim K Shocks Everyone by Wearing the Same Thing Twice
- Mariah Carey on Creating Christmas Traditions for Her Twins
- Beyonce Releases New, Self-Titled Album on iTunes: Singer Shocks Fans With Surprise
- Jeff Perry: Scandal Actor Joins Us For Live Twitter Q&A! Read His Spoilers and Surprising Behind-the-Scenes Details!
- Emmy Rossum Spoofs Gisele Bundchen, Hugh Hefner and Crystal Harris Share Their Christmas Card: Top 5 Thursday Stories