Wannabe Rapper Trying to Woo Ashanti Convicted of Stalking
By PopEater Staff Posted Dec 23rd 2009 08:43AM
A self-dubbed record label CEO who was on a mission to impress Ashanti was convicted Tuesday of harassing the singer's mother with bizarre text messages and filthy photos of himself.
Devar Hurd appeared stunned as a Manhattan jury delivered its verdict after two days of deliberations, finding him guilty of stalking and aggravated harassment for three years with messages the singer's mother and manager, Tina Douglas, called scary and disgusting. Hurd insisted the photos of his genitals were welcome and strictly "for the ladies."
The 31-year-old Chicagoan is being held without bail until his Jan. 11 sentencing, where he could be handed up to two years in prison.
"It was just disgusting and humiliating and extremely frightening," Douglas testified, adding that she pulled Ashanti out of a rehearsal of 'The Wiz' after Hurd sent a message that mentioned seeing the singer's car outside the theater.
Hurd, also an aspiring rapper, peppered his own testimony with occasional rap lines and finger-snapping. "Why would I want to annoy (Douglas) or harass her or whatever in any kind of way?" he asked jurors. "Doing anything to her or to Ashanti ... that's not my style."
He said he was working on business dealings with the singer's parents and acquired her phone number through Ashanti's record label.
Ashanti was not present in court.
Since signing her first record deal at 14, she has recorded hits including 'Foolish' and 'Only U.' She also has acted in such films as 'Coach Carter' and 'John Tucker Must Die.'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Pregnant celebs without the shy gene
- Orlando Bloom, Miranda Kerr dating former spouses?
- Tara Reid releases 'Sharknado'-inspired perfume. No, really
- Lee Pace names the sex scene he's rewound? a lot
- Stephen Colbert gives heartfelt advice (no, really) to teenage girls
- Christina Aguilera Poses Nude While Pregnant; Kim Kardashian Shares Nearly Naked Instagram: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Zoe Saldana Defends Crossroads Costar Britney Spears After Auto-Tune Controversy: She's "an Abundance" of Good Energy
- Justin Bieber Celebrates Riccardo Tisci's Birthday With Kim Kardashian, Kendall Jenner -- See the Pics!