Wannabe Rapper Trying to Woo Ashanti Convicted of Stalking
By PopEater Staff Posted Dec 23rd 2009 08:43AM
A self-dubbed record label CEO who was on a mission to impress Ashanti was convicted Tuesday of harassing the singer's mother with bizarre text messages and filthy photos of himself.
Devar Hurd appeared stunned as a Manhattan jury delivered its verdict after two days of deliberations, finding him guilty of stalking and aggravated harassment for three years with messages the singer's mother and manager, Tina Douglas, called scary and disgusting. Hurd insisted the photos of his genitals were welcome and strictly "for the ladies."
The 31-year-old Chicagoan is being held without bail until his Jan. 11 sentencing, where he could be handed up to two years in prison.
"It was just disgusting and humiliating and extremely frightening," Douglas testified, adding that she pulled Ashanti out of a rehearsal of 'The Wiz' after Hurd sent a message that mentioned seeing the singer's car outside the theater.
Hurd, also an aspiring rapper, peppered his own testimony with occasional rap lines and finger-snapping. "Why would I want to annoy (Douglas) or harass her or whatever in any kind of way?" he asked jurors. "Doing anything to her or to Ashanti ... that's not my style."
He said he was working on business dealings with the singer's parents and acquired her phone number through Ashanti's record label.
Ashanti was not present in court.
Since signing her first record deal at 14, she has recorded hits including 'Foolish' and 'Only U.' She also has acted in such films as 'Coach Carter' and 'John Tucker Must Die.'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ex-Miss Nevada Katherine Reese busted again for meth possession, report says
- 'Airplane Repo' star Mike Kennedy: Community overreacting to escaped King Cobra
- Video resurfaces of Jared Fogle commenting on 'To Catch a Predator'
- Sarah Palin Sounds-Off on the Kardashians and Duggars
- Johnny Depp Jokes About Killing and Eating His Dogs
- Dylan O'Brien & Kaya Scoderlario Dish on 'Maze Runner: The Scorch Trails'
- Ellen Pompeo Gripes About Fans Doubting Future of Grey's Anatomy After McDreamy's Death: It's "Difficult for My Ego"
- Ali Fedotowsky, Kevin Manno Dish on Engagement, Being Ready to Start "Growing Our Little Family Soon"
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Are Glamour Defined on the Red Carpet in Venice: See Who Else Stunned, Too!