Steven Tyler Admits Painkiller Addiction, Enters Rehab
By PopEater Staff Posted Dec 23rd 2009 06:26AM
Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler has spent decades shouldering the rock 'n' roll lifestyle, and ten years of performance injuries have taken their toll. Tyler has entered a rehab facility for pain management and an addiction to prescription painkillers, PEOPLE reports. His actress daughter Liv Tyler says, "We love him and are so proud that he is getting help to balance his pain management, not just for himself but for his family, friends and fans."
Tyler's daughter adds, "My family and I are in complete support of my dad's decision to seek treatment. He is a courageous man."
Tyler, 61, suffers chronic pain as a result of numerous injuries, and will most likely require surgery on his knees and feet to correct the lingering issues. His physician, Dr. Brian McKeon, tells PEOPLE, "The balance between managing his pain and avoiding addiction is tenuous and difficult and his bravery in persevering through rigorous touring is admirable. As with many athletes, Steven put his performance first as he struggled with acute pain for years."
The rock star, who battled drug addiction throughout the '70s and '80s, released a statement about his decision to enter rehab. "With the help of my family and team of medical professionals, I am taking responsibility for the management of my pain and am eager to be back on the stage and in the recording studio with my bandmates Joe Perry, Joey Kramer, Tom Hamilton and Brad Whitford," he writes. "I love Aerosmith; I love performing as the lead singer in Aerosmith. I am grateful for all of the support and love I am receiving and am committed to getting things taken care of."
Tyler also tried rehab in May of 2008. At the time, he announced that he checked in because he "really needed a safe environment to recuperate" from painful foot surgery. Tyler later admitted that what he really needed help with an addiction to the sleep and pain medications he was taking following the surgery.
Now Entering CelebRehab
Musician Steven Tyler has entered a rehab facility for pain management and an addiction to prescription painkillers, with the support of his doctor and family.
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
MORE ABOUT Steven Tyler
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Steven Tyler Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Khloe Kardashian shows Lamar Odom what he's missing
- Mariska Hargitay works to get backlog of rape tests in Detroit processed
- FOX411's pic of the day
- ?Between Two Ferns' director Scott Aukerman on how they got Obama to laugh at himself
- Matthew McConaughey's ?Wolf of Wall Street' chest thump gets a remix ? VIDEO
- Jennifer Lopez says she would let both Ben Affleck and Diddy (hypothetically) drown ? VIDEO
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jimmy Fallon and Jon Hamm Photobomb Tourists!
- Pic! Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Spied in NYC
- Bachelor Juan Pablo's Obscene Comment to Clare Crawley, Celebs React to His Pick: Top Stories
- Jake Gyllenhaal Dances Around Naked, Bangs on Pans on Film Set: See the Bizarre Pictures
- Simon Cowell's Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Shows Off Post-Baby Body in Sheer Top: See the Look!