Garden State Italians Want 'Jersey Shore' Silenced
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Dec 24th 2009 08:17AM
MTV is getting more pressure to cancel its 'Jersey Shore' reality show. The latest criticism comes from the New Jersey Italian American Legislative Caucus, which says the show promotes derogatory ethnic stereotypes and is "wildly offensive."
In a letter sent Tuesday to the president of Viacom, MTV's parent company, caucus chairman Joseph Vitale asks that the show be immediately taken off the air.
The state lawmakers also have asked advertisers to boycott the show, which focuses on eight tanned 20-somethings and their escapades in Seaside Heights, a popular New Jersey beach town.
On Wednesday, a Viacom spokesman referred a request for comment to an MTV spokesperson, who did not immediately respond. MTV has said its intention is not to stereotype or offend.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Emma Stone Chops Her Hair, Owns the Venice Film Festival Red Carpet
- Kylie Jenner Is Turning Into Kim Kardashian, And She Has the Outfit, Hair and Makeup to Prove It
- Bella Thorne, Tristan Klier Break Up: Actress Splits From Longtime Boyfriend
- ?Jedi Mind Trick!' Beyonce's Dad Admits Jay Z Divorce Rumors Were ?Trick' To ?Ignite The Tour' ? ?We've Done This' Before, Former Manager Says
- FOX411's pic of the day
- 'Sons of Guns' canceled after star Will Hayden arrested for allegedly repeatedly raping minor
- William Greaves, TV host and filmmaker, dead at 87
- Emma Stone Debuts Bob Haircut, Shuts it Down in Plunging Gown at the 2014 Venice Film Festival—See the Pic!
- Lara Bingle Goes Naked, Flashes Boobs While Tanning With Sam Worthington—See the Pics
- Uma Thurman Breaks Silence on Quentin Tarantino Dating Rumors, Reveals Their Relationship Status