Garden State Italians Want 'Jersey Shore' Silenced
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Dec 24th 2009 08:17AM
MTV is getting more pressure to cancel its 'Jersey Shore' reality show. The latest criticism comes from the New Jersey Italian American Legislative Caucus, which says the show promotes derogatory ethnic stereotypes and is "wildly offensive."
In a letter sent Tuesday to the president of Viacom, MTV's parent company, caucus chairman Joseph Vitale asks that the show be immediately taken off the air.
The state lawmakers also have asked advertisers to boycott the show, which focuses on eight tanned 20-somethings and their escapades in Seaside Heights, a popular New Jersey beach town.
On Wednesday, a Viacom spokesman referred a request for comment to an MTV spokesperson, who did not immediately respond. MTV has said its intention is not to stereotype or offend.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Todd Chrisley's Younger Brother Randy Diagnosed With Stage Four Cancer
- Jenna Fischer Shares Adorable Selfie With Baby Daughter Harper -- See the Cute Baking Pic!
- Lauren Conrad's Mermaid Halloween Costume: See the Sparkly Getup (Complete With Actual Seashells!), Plus DIY Tips
- Iggy Azalea And Victoria's Secret PINK Models Elsa Hosk And Rachel Hilbert Attends Victoria's Secret PINK Nation Crazy For Campus Bash At UNLV
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Orson Welles' final film may be released
- 'I Was Here': Beyonce song inspires Iraqi youth peace movement
- The Kardashians Love to Curse: "This Family Is So F----d Up"—Watch the Hilarious Cursing Supercut!
- Robert Pattinson and FKA Twigs Are ''Getting Pretty Serious''—Get the Scoop on the Couple!
- Miley Cyrus' Creepy Baby Mask, Fergie's Elvira Costume and More Celebs' Scariest Halloween Moments—See the Pics!