Garden State Italians Want 'Jersey Shore' Silenced
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Dec 24th 2009 08:17AM
MTV is getting more pressure to cancel its 'Jersey Shore' reality show. The latest criticism comes from the New Jersey Italian American Legislative Caucus, which says the show promotes derogatory ethnic stereotypes and is "wildly offensive."
In a letter sent Tuesday to the president of Viacom, MTV's parent company, caucus chairman Joseph Vitale asks that the show be immediately taken off the air.
The state lawmakers also have asked advertisers to boycott the show, which focuses on eight tanned 20-somethings and their escapades in Seaside Heights, a popular New Jersey beach town.
On Wednesday, a Viacom spokesman referred a request for comment to an MTV spokesperson, who did not immediately respond. MTV has said its intention is not to stereotype or offend.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Hudson Leads Sexy Biker Gang as Mother of Anarchy for Halloween: See Her Ab-Baring Leather Costume
- Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan's 2014 Halloween Costumes: Kimye, Peter Pan, Zombies, and More!
- Honey Boo Boo's Anna Cardwell on What She Would Say to Alleged Child Molester: "Leave or I'm Gonna Call the Cops"
- Kate Hudson Throws A Sons of Anarchy Themed Halloween Party
- Grandma Reveals She Rescued Anna, Now Terrified Honey Boo Boo In Danger
- Friends Begin Congratulating Jessica Biel On ‘Impending Motherhood’
- Kim Kardashian's corset selfie raises questions: How dangerous is the practice of corseting?
- Sheri Moon Zombie impressed by horror fans who dress up as her
- Best and worst celebrity Halloween costumes