Where's the Gay Storyline in 'Valentine's Day' Trailer?
By PopEater Staff Posted Dec 28th 2009 11:58AM
On first glance, the star-studded trailer for the movie 'Valentine's Day' seemed like a romantic comedy with a boatload of star power and box office appeal. However, as more begin analyzing the nuances of the trailer, some are calling foul about one omission -- the gay storyline between Bradley Cooper and Eric Dane. So is it a case of smart editing to throw off viewers, or the studio being worried that the real storyline might alienate some people from seeing the film? Opinions after the jump!
In the trailer, it's hinted at that 'Hangover' star Cooper and Julia Roberts are romantically linked. However, when one digs deeper, it's actually 'Grey's Anatomy' star Eric 'McSteamy' Dane that Cooper is keen on, yet that isn't shown in the trailer.
Blogs like AfterElton.com and Jezebel.com have noticed the absent Cooper-Dane love, and vented about it.
AfterElton's Ed Kennedy writes: "Is it really impossible to market an ensemble romantic comedy to the masses with a gay couple in it? Could that really be considered a bad marketing move in Hollywood now? First, a gay director (Tom Ford) takes a movie about a gay man based on a book by a gay man and degays the marketing for that movie, and now this?"
Jezebel points out that "with all of the other couples in the film being shown kissing and excepting [sic] marriage proposals, one gets the sense we're supposed to expect the same from Roberts and Cooper." In fact, during the trailer when Roberts and Cooper are seen sitting next to each other on an airplane, the narrator says "there's always a chance for romance."
Bradley Cooper Photos
Bradley Cooper sure is a handsome fellow, isn't he? He's seen here at the Hollywood Awards Gala Ceremony in October. Click for More Pics of Bradley Out and About >>>
Getty Images for The Hollywood F
Getty Images North America
Cooper's 'Valentine's' character was always openly gay from the inception of the movie. The Hollywood Reporter described his role as "a gay man whose lover is a closeted football player."
Dane's role, however, was a bit more vague. "A quarterback struggling over the decision of whether to retire," was the description given by Variety -- only somewhat linking him to Cooper's "closeted football player" crush.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Retired boxer Muhammad Ali, Angelina Jolie, and Brad Pitt attend the UNICEF Ball honoring Jerry Weintraub in Beverly Hills.
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Billy Joel set to break Madison Square Garden record
- Duggar fans create counter-petition to save '19 Kids & Counting'
- Vogue's new digs are reportedly swarming with rats
- 'Silkwood': Read THR's 1983 Review
- Stephen Hawking's 5 Most Mind-Blowing Quotes
- How the Media Covered The Real Events That Inspired 'Foxcatcher'
- Cameron Diaz hosts ?Saturday Night Live' this weekend ? talk about it here!
- You can now buy the original ?Wizard of Oz' Cowardly Lion costume ? if you're a millionaire
- This Week on Stage: Hugh Jackman, Glenn Close and ?Side Show' storm Broadway's busiest fall week
- 10 of the Greatest Movie Transformations Ever
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Family Review: 5 Things Every Parent Should Know
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' Snags Brenton Thwaites, Possibly Javier Bardem