Where's the Gay Storyline in 'Valentine's Day' Trailer?
By PopEater Staff Posted Dec 28th 2009 11:58AM
On first glance, the star-studded trailer for the movie 'Valentine's Day' seemed like a romantic comedy with a boatload of star power and box office appeal. However, as more begin analyzing the nuances of the trailer, some are calling foul about one omission -- the gay storyline between Bradley Cooper and Eric Dane. So is it a case of smart editing to throw off viewers, or the studio being worried that the real storyline might alienate some people from seeing the film? Opinions after the jump!
In the trailer, it's hinted at that 'Hangover' star Cooper and Julia Roberts are romantically linked. However, when one digs deeper, it's actually 'Grey's Anatomy' star Eric 'McSteamy' Dane that Cooper is keen on, yet that isn't shown in the trailer.
Blogs like AfterElton.com and Jezebel.com have noticed the absent Cooper-Dane love, and vented about it.
AfterElton's Ed Kennedy writes: "Is it really impossible to market an ensemble romantic comedy to the masses with a gay couple in it? Could that really be considered a bad marketing move in Hollywood now? First, a gay director (Tom Ford) takes a movie about a gay man based on a book by a gay man and degays the marketing for that movie, and now this?"
Jezebel points out that "with all of the other couples in the film being shown kissing and excepting [sic] marriage proposals, one gets the sense we're supposed to expect the same from Roberts and Cooper." In fact, during the trailer when Roberts and Cooper are seen sitting next to each other on an airplane, the narrator says "there's always a chance for romance."
Bradley Cooper Photos
Bradley Cooper sure is a handsome fellow, isn't he? He's seen here at the Hollywood Awards Gala Ceremony in October. Click for More Pics of Bradley Out and About >>>
Getty Images for The Hollywood F
Getty Images North America
Cooper's 'Valentine's' character was always openly gay from the inception of the movie. The Hollywood Reporter described his role as "a gay man whose lover is a closeted football player."
Dane's role, however, was a bit more vague. "A quarterback struggling over the decision of whether to retire," was the description given by Variety -- only somewhat linking him to Cooper's "closeted football player" crush.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Retired boxer Muhammad Ali, Angelina Jolie, and Brad Pitt attend the UNICEF Ball honoring Jerry Weintraub in Beverly Hills.
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Editor says Gabriel Garcia Marquez left unpublished manuscript
- Letterman welcomes successor Colbert for first time since announcing retirement
- Christian band MercyMe opens up about abuse, God and new album
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' Prequel to Film in New Zealand
- Cannes: European Film Promotion Names 'Producers on the Move'
- Chinese Director to Oliver Stone: Mind Your Own Business
- ?Supernatural' recap: Killing things that need killing
- ?Agents of SHIELD' react: A little night music
- ?Mindy Project' recap: An officer and a gynecologist
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief
- Actor Daniel Franzese Writes Amazing, 'Mean Girls'-Themed Coming Out Letter
- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler's 'The Nest' Has Some Stiff Competition